Landscape Elevation help

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Landscape Elevation help

Postby GreenDiesal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi I am currently designing a large site which involves 3 different buildings. I'm required to create a street view elevation of the entire site but I'm unsure how to represent my middle building which does not directly face the street.

Would I draw it as if it was facing the street, with the side of the building mostly facing the street being the elevation or would I draw it as it would be seen?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but this is my first year and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
GreenDiesal

Postby lekizz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 am

Probably you've made your decision and completed your drawing by now!!

However, from what you say, if you have deliberately made a decision to place your building orientated obliquely to the street, then that is probably a fairly fundamental design decision on your part. Therfore it would be sensible to draw it as such. Assuming your building is an orthogonal shape you would, in elevation, show an oblique view of two sides of your building.

This is not a hard-and-fast rule in all circumstances. But if you are in the early stages of your course I expect your tutors will want you to demonstrate you understand basic drawing conventions.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby GreenDiesal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:30 am

Thanks for your help and yes I have completed it already but your advice was spot on :)
GreenDiesal

Return to Architecture Students Forum