Time for a... Suggestion Box

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Re: Time for a... Suggestion Box

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 am

Joe,

That’s the idea of the Offset Point tool combined with the Edit Window. You can do that now.

You can also do the same with the Measure tool in that it will place a point when you tab into the Edit Window.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:23 pm

It may not be in PowerCADD but voice recognition is ready for this kind of use with the right software. Some simple commands could create a line (even a plan of a wall). Hands free would be very helpful. As Joe indicates, the work goes much more smoothly with a partner who marks down the measurements while the other person is free to handle the tape and laser.

There have been some bold attempts to provide this sort of thing on an iPad. I tried a couple, but I've opted out of fumbling with an app in the field and holding an iPad up in front of my face (looking like a fool) for now. And the apps don't really record what I am looking for or come to it any faster. The main hassle is handling your measurement tools and having hands free to record at the same time.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Rob C » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 am

Joe Mattei wrote:I am envisioning a tool that will work with imported CAD plans that do not have a "formal" scale associated with them. The plan scale is somewhere between who knows where and who knows what! The idea is, if you actually have an accurate dimension of one of the walls, say, by field measuring, you can click on that wall and insert the dimension into the box that pops up... and magic, presto change-o, the entire plan is to the scale you would like. That would save a lot of time... And now someone is going to tell me you can do it by...

That's actually how you rescale an object or the whole model in SketchUp.
Rob C

Postby Joe Mattei » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I understand that a lot of users have two screens (at least) in use when the use Powercadd. When I was working on a particularly complicated project today I kept referring back to previous sheets I had drawn. What a time suck! Open/close, open/close.

Here's my suggestion: Make Powercadd capable of opening more than one drawing in a set (single file) at the same time. Two sheets from the same drawing file.

That would save an incredible amount of time. Of course, copy, paste, etc would work between sheets.
Joe Mattei

Postby Joe Mattei » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:37 am

It would seem to me that in order to update and modernize the software, Engineered Software should pose some questions to the users. Develop an online form in which all users could participate. Ask the questions that need answers. As examples, "What tools do you use, What tools do you like, What suggestions do you have?" User knowledge and experience has value. In that way, our participation, will help move it all forward!
Joe Mattei

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 am

Joe,

That’s certainly a good idea, but for about three or four years, you cannot even join this forum. Problem is that the forum software is being overloaded with spam, in the neighborhood of a couple thousand each day. Kevin now has that somewhat under control by having this forum automatically reboot itself each morning.

Kevin has been planning to update the forum software to the latest version that may have more robust spam protection. Right now the registration responses are turned off.

PowerCADD automatically logs user data for when a tool is selected. I’ve never looked at it or been interested in seeing it.

Instead, when I talk to users about what tools they like and use, they tend to use most similar sets of tools: line, offset line, parallel offset, trim, etc. These are arranged in the palettes with the most often used tools first in a row.

What I’m always interested in is what you find frustrating, and then trying to figure out what might be done.

I remember maybe 20 years ago drawing a wood crate for our Falco kits. I would draw a rectangle and then wanted a line offsetted from a side of the rectangle. At that time in PowerDraw 4.0, you could “smash” a rectangle or polygon to convert it to individual lines, but then you would no longer have a rectangle or polygon in the drawing. Frustration!

I remember calling my old friend Bobby Payne about this, and asked if he ran into this. “All the time!” So I proposed an Offset Line tool, something the existing CAD programs did not have.

I came in the next day, a Saturday, and created the Offset Line tool in about three hours, and then over the years many other tools came from frustrations: Linear Repeat, Offset Repeat, etc.

I don’t have anything specific to propose or even an idea on how it might be implemented in PowerCADD or WildTools, but I would like to be able to click on — or in — a drawing and then drag and drop a pdf of the drawing into a folder in the Finder — instead of choosing, Print, then click on the PDF button and choosing a directory.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Joe Mattei wrote:I understand that a lot of users have two screens (at least) in use when the use Powercadd. When I was working on a particularly complicated project today I kept referring back to previous sheets I had drawn. What a time suck! Open/close, open/close.

Here's my suggestion: Make Powercadd capable of opening more than one drawing in a set (single file) at the same time. Two sheets from the same drawing file.

That would save an incredible amount of time. Of course, copy, paste, etc would work between sheets.

I know (I think) what you are referring to. One thing we like about PowerCADD is that you can pile a whole project, or major parts, into single files so that access and archiving is simplified. But if you want to look at the floor plan on one sheet, while working on the elevations on a another, it requires some setup. I usually open a second copy of the file (Untitled). this lets me put that on another monitor, minimize it, etc. In the latest versions of the OS, you have to do this "open" from the finder.

What I think would make things smoother for this process (and in general).

1. Be able to set save prompt in drawing setup "don't prompt for this file".

2. Add a Sheet Window (like the layer window) where any sheet can be accessed in a single click and all sheet functions can be operated. One could move about the file so much faster. The pull-down sheet menus are tedious to use in a large project.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Alfred Scott wrote:Joe,

I don’t have anything specific to propose or even an idea on how it might be implemented in PowerCADD or WildTools, but I would like to be able to click on — or in — a drawing and then drag and drop a pdf of the drawing into a folder in the Finder — instead of choosing, Print, then click on the PDF button and choosing a directory.

Alfred

I often use copy and paste to Preview of Mail for a quick pdf of the file. However this is not a true version of the print (color by object only and only selectable PC objects). It's fast for sending a detail to a colleague and so forth.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Rob C wrote:
Joe Mattei wrote:I am envisioning a tool that will work with imported CAD plans that do not have a "formal" scale associated with them. The plan scale is somewhere between who knows where and who knows what! The idea is, if you actually have an accurate dimension of one of the walls, say, by field measuring, you can click on that wall and insert the dimension into the box that pops up... and magic, presto change-o, the entire plan is to the scale you would like. That would save a lot of time... And now someone is going to tell me you can do it by...

That's actually how you rescale an object or the whole model in SketchUp.

That would be nice. Sketchup has a built in way of doing that. If for example you were inside a group, it would only work on that group....

You know how to do this with a few steps,(within a certain degree of accuracy), right?
pbacot
millennium club

Postby David Scott » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

Joe Mattei wrote:
I am envisioning a tool that will work with imported CAD plans that do not have a "formal" scale associated with them. The plan scale is somewhere between who knows where and who knows what! The idea is, if you actually have an accurate dimension of one of the walls, say, by field measuring, you can click on that wall and insert the dimension into the box that pops up... and magic, presto change-o, the entire plan is to the scale you would like. That would save a lot of time... And now someone is going to tell me you can do it by...

Joe,

If you have WildTools you can do this quite easily using the Stretch tool.
If you know the correct size of one reference line just draw a new line with the correct length from the same starting point over the top of the existing line. Use a different colour so it's easy to see.
Then select the whole drawing.
Select the Stretch tool (it's in the same row as the linear repeat tools.)
Drag a line from the starting point to the original end point and complete the operation by clicking on the correct end point. PowerCADD will dynamically show the whole drawing rescaling to the new scale. Delete the reference line.
(It's easier to do it than to explain it!)
Hope this helps.
David
David Scott

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:49 am

Joe (and David),

The Stretch Tool is even easier to use than as David suggests.

With the whole drawing selected, use the tool to click on the end points on the reference line and then while the tool has the drawing in 'live stretching' just Tab into the Edit window, enter the known length and hit Return.

So you don't need to draw the extra line that David mentioned.

Derek
Derek

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 pm

My most recent frustration has been wanting to resize arrows interactively with objects in the drawing, so in talking to Matt Arnold about this, I’ve changed the Dash Adjuster tool to handle arrows as well as dashes.

You can now use the Edit Window to set the scale.

There are info balloons that show you the scale and sizes.

With arrows, you may press the Shift key to edit the width of the arrow only.

And you can press the Shift key to suppress line end caps with dashes, something Matt really wanted.

Matt is also after me to have a loupe by the cursor, particularly when cleaning up intersections in the drawing. Maybe I can do something like this for the Trim, Hatchet and Wall Trim tools.

It’s certainly a handy thing to have available in editing text on the iPad.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Previous

Return to PowerCADD Discussion