Gold Star Super Bowl: Pat Tillman, Michael Murphy, veterans.

This forum is for friendly discussion among DesignCommunity members on weather, sports, politics, fishing, and those other parts of life that don't fit into the topic-specific DesCom discussions.

Gold Star Super Bowl: Pat Tillman, Michael Murphy, veterans.

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:59 am

LT Michael Murphy, US Navy
http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/index.html

Pat Tillman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

I think in everyone’s heart in America, we approach the super sporting events, always with our servicemen in our hearts and thoughts, for those who have served already, for those who have yet to join, and certainly for the families of those whose sons and daughters never came home, or came home impaired in one way or the other.

Who could think of the World Series, or the Super Bowl, or any other of the championship series, without hearing the announcer mention our veterans.

And how ironic to have the Arizona Cardinals represented in this year’s Super Bowl, which was Pat Tillman’s team, who left his professional career to trade it for an Army uniform, and Special Forces team member. This is his Super Bowl, in my mind.

I certainly strongly encourage all young men and women to think of the opportunities of service in our military, but you can also serve your own community with the same sincerity. And of course, the penalties of good service might mean you sacrifice all for your country, so the decision has to be your own, but certainly is a noble career in my opinion, and all should serve in some capacity.

As for the Michael Murphy story, I am told I knew the Seal Team commander who likely recruited Long Island’s Michael Murphy into the Seals recruitment program, and of course, he must be heartbroken for the result.

To add to the Murphy tragedy with 2 other fatalities (one was eventually rescued) was the rescue helicopter also being shot down with the loss of 16 Navy and Army personnel.

Their names...

Navy SEALs
SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
Lt. (SEAL) Michael P. Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y.
Sonar Technician (Surface) 2nd Class (SEAL) Matthew G. Axelson, 29, of Cupertino, Calif.
Machinist Mate 2nd Class (SEAL) Eric S. Patton, 22, of Boulder City, Nev.
Senior Chief Information Systems Technician (SEAL) Daniel R. Healy, 36, of Exeter, N.H.
Quartermaster 2nd Class (SEAL) James Suh, 28, of Deerfield Beach, Fla.

SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2, Virginia Beach, Va.
Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class (SEAL) Danny P. Dietz, 25, of Littleton, Colo.

SEAL Team 10, Virginia Beach, Va.
Chief Fire Controlman (SEAL) Jacques J. Fontan, 36, of New Orleans, La.
Lt. Cmdr. (SEAL) Erik S. Kristensen, 33, of San Diego, Calif.
Electronics Technician 1st Class (SEAL) Jeffery A. Lucas, 33, of Corbett, Ore.
Lt. (SEAL) Michael M. McGreevy Jr., 30, of Portville, N.Y.
Hospital Corpsman 1st Class (SEAL) Jeffrey S. Taylor, 30, of Midway, W.Va.

Army Night Stalkers
3rd Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), Hunter Army Air Field, Ga.
Staff Sgt. Shamus O. Goare, 29, of Danville, Ohio.
Chief Warrant Officer Corey J. Goodnature, 35, of Clarks Grove, Minn.
Sgt. Kip A. Jacoby, 21, of Pompano Beach, Fla.
Sgt. 1st Class Marcus V. Muralles, 33, of Shelbyville, Ind.
Maj. Stephen C. Reich, 34, of Washington Depot, Conn.
Sgt. 1st Class Michael L. Russell, 31, of Stafford, Va.
Chief Warrant Officer Chris J. Scherkenbach, 40, of Jacksonville, Fla.
HQ Company, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), Fort Campbell, Ky.
Master Sgt. James W. Ponder III, 36, of Franklin, Tenn.

To all the families of these wars, and to all the veterans, past, present and future... God Bless you all, on Super Sunday... it is most definitely your day too.
Ed Ziomek

annoying trailer

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 am

My apologies for the annoying and regrettable imageshack trailer...
Ed Ziomek

Sgt. Felix Perez, American hero

Postby Ed Ziomek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Sgt. Felix Perez. American hero, in the spirit of America, all Americans.

Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated
Team USA's victory strikes a special chord for Iraq war veteran

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

“And suddenly it is not just baseball any more. It is bigger. It is brotherhood. It is hope. And yes, it is country.

It is the wide smile on the face of Sgt. Felix Perez, 27, of Miami, decked out in his USA baseball hoodie, his USA baseball fitted cap -- and his American flag and WBC baseball, both signed by the ballplayers of Team USA in the wake of what was a 6-5 walkoff victory that put the Americans into the semifinals and maybe, just maybe, into the hearts of a few baseball fans who didn't understand what playing for country was all about. Felix was right there in the locker room celebrating with these superstars who had become kids again, sloshing beer on one another.”

Neatorama.com
http://www.neatorama.com/upcoming/post/ ... ar-veteran

“After the game, Sgt. Felix Perez, an Afghanistan and Iraq war veteran, asked a security guard if some of the players would sign his American flag.

Brian Finnegan was only doing his job on Tuesday night when he saw Felix Perez in the handicapped section of Dolphin Stadium. Finnegan's son, Tommy, had spent his life in a wheelchair battling cerebral palsy, and recently had passed away at age 20.

"It was like divine intervention," Finnegan said. "In some ways I saw Tommy in Felix and wanted to help."

Finnegan took Perez's flag -- the one Perez carried with him through tours of Afghanistan and Iraq as a sergeant with the 82nd Airborne -- and brought it into a raucous clubhouse filled with American players who were wearing that flag on their chests.”
Ed Ziomek

The cost of these conflicts

Postby Ed Ziomek » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:40 pm

First of all, another mass killing, this one at Ft. Hood, in Texas, and the horrible loss of men and women and innocents.

Experts will analyze and decide the causes and certainly the blame is not disputed.

But as 10,000 others might have done in the last 24 hours, I have written someone in our government who could make a difference, who could turn the ship towards a brighter tomorrow.

America needs to win the peace, not the wars. America wins by excelling in harmonious culture, not by guns, bullets, bombs. And we have to keep our sons and daughters as close to home as possible, and all of us as safe as possible.

Our enemies bulldoze women into the ground, they skin people alive in the name of their God, they kill their own kind, but we have to let the foreign cultures decide what is best for themselves. They have to choose their own nightmare, and it is not our business to decide for them.

Anyways, prayers for all the families of all our soldiers, sailors, marines, airmen, all over the world.
Ed Ziomek

President Obama is right, Gen. McChrystal is understood

Postby Ed Ziomek » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:58 am

First of all, in an extremely difficult moment of our world, with wars erupting as we speak, or threatening as we know they are, with the sands of politics shifting day-by-day, it is not easy being President of the United States.

Mistakes and successes, I am 1000% behind our President, who promised change, and is giving us mega-change. This includes the transitioning of General Stanley McChrystal out of his job in Afghanistan.

But not one human being in this United States should ever criticize General Stanley McChrystal for his past efforts. We should always praise this heroic warrior, for engaging the best efforts of America in an area saturated with betrayals. I am the first to admit my criticism for the wars, but I am not criticizing the warriors for doing their responsible best they possibly could.

Everyone agrees, General Stanley McChrystal is an American hero, a Super Bowl hero in a time we need heros.

We all know what Post Traumatic Stress is. Have anyone ever defined what living and breathing and fearing ACTUAL TRAUMATIC STRESS IS?

The closest term I can find in the American lexicon is "shell shock" or "battle fatigue". Think about his 38 wonderful years of faithful service, much of it in Special Operations he won't be able to talk about for probably 20 years. This is an amazingly heroic service record.

Stanley McChrystal did communicate his displeasures. He did act improperly towards the end, I think he will admit that.

But there is exhaustion in human beings. There is the constant fear of being attacked by enemies like the Taliban, and enemies like fanatical sectarian fighters. There were no doubt sleepless weeks, if not months, of watching the casualty reports mount, all the while listening to Afghani politicians praising the enemy or negotiating with the enemy. There are casualties who come back in all forms, I don't need to end this line, God Bless the Families that suffer through all the horrors.

But how can any one American NOT be effected?

I can only guess, that the last page of his career might be changed, he possibly could have marched into Central Command Headquarters and asked for a replacement, that his job was changing from a military role to a diplomatic role, and that fresh eyes and legs should carry the baton from here forward.

So I am all for the removal by our Commander in Chief, and then let me read your book, General!!! -the Book on what you can tell us about your amazing life protecting this country.

Stanley McChrystal. Super Bowl, American Hero.

Mr. President, you are Presidential, and I thank you too.

The American system works, with Vigilance!!!
Ed Ziomek

Return to Fireside Forum