What happened with this great site

This forum is for DesignCommunity forum suggestions and discussion of community administration issues. Post questions about forum posting guidelines here.

What happened with this great site

Postby P.C. » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:24 am

Am I alone thinking missing a lot of interesting treads, good discussions and relevant input , long treads and fine arguments `?

I alway's liked this site, and been treaded with respect here even my issues ,challanced a few ------ I miss this adult fora things sort of changed here and that is a shame ; why ?
P.C.
millennium club

Postby solidred » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I blame the departure (or general absence of) of MX2 Per.
I feel he was at the core of a regular group who got along in a straightforward way (like me) or in an absorbingly contrary way and thought on a similar wavelength: things we enjoyed discussing and a similar way of approaching such topics. It'll probably come again but I browse by this site from time to time and if there aren't any posts by people I know or if there aren't any relevant / non studenty topics on offer, I'll just leave again. If I weren't extremely busy elsewhere at present I'd try starting some threads of my own but, as it is, I haven't the energy. But see, I saw your post here and so have responded to it 8)

But you're right: for a while this was great here: it allowed the kind of discussion that didn't really happen on the likes of archinect; the kind of discussion I prefer, to be honest. Archinect has good discussions too but, being participated in by hundreds of people, they end up far too long to easily get involved in. Here, it's always been more intimate...

This place needs its momentum back: any ideas? And don't say 3D-H :wink:
solidred

Postby P.C. » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:15 am

I agrea -- but after these new fora's was created

New Structure Fora:

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Green Building Fora

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewforum.php?f=22

Construction Fora ;

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewforum.php?f=21

I was surprised at first, as there was many visitors at the fireside fora where "my" Silver Screen Galleri tread was moved ;

http://fireside.designcommunity.com/forum-9.html

I was surprised about the "activity" of visitors there at first, but lately I found that in some of these fora's the amount of posts and visitors fallen dramaticly.
Now as you know I am happy about the profesionalism in these fora's esp. the one we use right now --- I find the admin has taken consideral effords to protect my art and my personal style of art, and doing it in a way I find honest and responsable . Still even you plead not to mention, then I can not promise not to mention 3D-H -- I still think architecture need these inputs and the change that will happen , when the promises that don't just count my method, but a lot of surfacing methods , and this discussion are an important one ; how we aproach these nes tools and what they will mean in just few years , how to react to them and how to enforce our profesionalism instead of weaken it with conservatism.
As I see it architecture are begining a change . a huge one, and many holy-cows are to be jettisoned , my fight for the credits for halve a life of work can not just be jettisoned I must say that frankly, and I am sure that you in my situation with a family and two children where one was born with a serious autistic syndrome agrea, that today's artists must be allowed their credits, that when architecture change there also must be room for artists that simply can't conform. And this is within the change of architecture and arts that there must be room for the serious contributing artists that make things change.
This fora allowed for this, the admin was openminded enough to care about these issues, so I share your hope ,but I can't promise to set aside my works only my fanatism about it.
P.C.
millennium club

Postby solidred » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Yes, I suppose it was too much to ask :wink:
Anyways, I was just pulling your leg Per. I appreciate it's a big thing for you and you think it's important and want to spread the gospel... There's plenty of room for that.
I'm actually running a workshop this summer in Greece with someone I met on this forum so, if Kevin comes across this... the forum here's still doing good things! Even if it's a bit quiet on the surface right now. Maybe a new cluster of people will form. I'm sure it will. It's the way of things that conversation occurs in sudden explosions... there are probably mathematical models of it.
solidred

Postby The Architect » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 am

P.C. > "... my art and my personal style of art"

What the hell are you talking about? And who gave the right to use the word 'art'. I've seen the crap you cough up - and believe me P.C., it ain't art, ok?
And for the most part mx2 (or whatever is his virial nom de plume ) was/is just a talentless grunt/punk, looking for the funk... trying desperately to define what his soul could never understand. Have you seen his sig??

Don't make me puke, ok?

Hey solidred, I have a t-shirt for you...

Take care...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Architect on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Architect

Postby P.C. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:32 am

Please Jeanerette your messeage only bring yourself joy, and that joy isn't natural.
P.C.
millennium club

Postby Richard Haut » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:01 am

I miss this adult fora

Per, you wanted the forum and its fellow fora to be the way that they used to be - "The Architect" posts a message which is in its content and attitude firmly in the tradition of this forum, and still you complain ?
Richard Haut
millennium club

Postby P.C. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:05 am

No I don't complain , and I don't expect the fora to reverse into what it was, I don't think personal attacks will ever replace the drive and tolerance this site carry --- as you know I defend any artists right not to conform , I found this tolerance here as one of the few places and here I learned to see the difference between a personal attack and a relevant critic --- but true, I have very strong oppinions about how architecture simply must change , and a very strong experience about what work against this change, these seeds are fragile and a halve drunk academic dinusaur have a better chance harming the new outside the web than here. --- For me this site alway's been a relive just knowing there are a core of honesty.
P.C.
millennium club

What ever happened

Postby birgco » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:25 pm

"The Architect"........
was/is just a talentless grunt/punk, looking for the funk... trying desperately to define what his soul could never understand.

Surely you jest.... even if I thought such a thing, I would never utter or write it in public until I got it right........ because it really goes like this,
"just a talentless grunt/punk, looking for the funk....trying desperately to define what his soul could never have thunk."
And you call yourself an artist..........

And other thing while I'm thinkin about it. When you sign off,
"Take care..." are you being sarcastic, cause I think maybe you are. Or maybe you really do want me to take care, like me mum would take care of me. Or it could be more possibly like a threat, like a mafioso type, "take care and watch you back". Or it could even be like a stoner saying like, "Take care, dude...." Anyway, I think you should clear that up because I'm positive I'm not the only one with the question.
birgco

Postby solidred » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:28 pm

Well, 'THe Architect' gets us talking and he's intelligent. Always spoiling for a fight of course, which is not my style of interaction. Although I have a dark desire to wind him up all of a sudden... which I shall resist. Even if his comments about my friend MX2 suggests a staggering lack of insight; a pitiful insecurity... shall I go on? 8)
And what's with the upside-down narcissism? Straight narcissism I get. The topsy-turvy version I find intriguing, or am I reading too much into the little jest?
solidred

Postby solidred » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Actually, I have now 'got' the meaning of the upside-down letters... :wink:
... and I did that without even ordering the T-shirt
solidred

The art of architecture

Postby JWmHarmon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:22 pm

When I was in college, one required course was called simply, "The Arts." It included art appreciation and analysis of painting, sculpture, music, architecture, crafts, drawing, and sometimes the interrelationship of these categories. It was not a course where one actually made any attempt to create a work of art except for one "art project" of the students' choosing.

My project took about one-half hour to create. It was entitled "Daphne." It included a one foot high, tree fork turned upside down to represent the lower torso with legs six inches in diameter, as in a legless Greek sculpture. A coathanger bent in the shape of a human spine served as a framework for hanging piston rings to suggest breasts, and a mirror for the head. One would see one's own reflection in the mirror, obviously more appropriate for women than for men, except for those who want to "get in touch with your feminine side." It suggested that the observer, too, could turn into a laurel tree. It suggested that sometimes we project ourselves into a work of art.

I got an "A" for the project. Other students who spent hours and hours on their projects got varying grades for varying qualities of "art."

We learned that different people had different reactions to "art."

I began to think of architecture as "live-in sculpture." It has its positive and negative spaces, its various textures and colors, its varied materials from natural to polished stone, from polished to patterned concrete, from naturally oxidized to stainless steel. I learned that different people had different interpretations of what constituted "art."

When a member of this forum says (s)he is an artist, I will not disagree. I will encourage that person to develop additional examples of her/his art including architecture. I will encourage others to develop different examples of their considerably different interpretations of forms that follow functions or forms that seemingly have no function.

We can each then decide for ourselves whether we appreciate others' creative endeavors, or whether it is in fact "junk."

If you call someone elses creation "junk," please give your best evaluation of why you consider it "junk." In this way you will increase interest in the thread instead of just hurling a critical comment.

Narcissism has its place. For some it gives the freedom to think of things others have not yet imagined. It can give us the idea of a "mile high skyscraper," or "a machine for living," or a "zero energy house," or a new way of thinking or new construction methods. Humility also has its place.

Share with us your way of thinking and your critical comments, not just a blunt "your stuff is crap" comment and we will have better threads for discussion. Try to make your comments as thought provoking as the "Narcicism" t-shirt.

(For those of you who didn't get the point of the T-shirt, keep thinking about it, and it may someday dawn on you.)

This forum will improve when we, the contributors, decide to improve it by offering topics of interest. Topics, like art, have a wide variety of interest for different people. Some people will find some topics interesting and some not interesting. Some people will make significant contributions and others will drift away.

What topics would you like to discuss to make it more interesting for you?
JWmHarmon

Postby solidred » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:50 am

J Wm Harmon,

You're new to this forum? If so, welcome!
The baggage / pretension / clarity of announcing 'I'm an artist' is one I've come across quite regularly. Either one uses it as a straight-forward job description, in order to avoid being obtuse ('I'm mainly involved these days with the polarity of metal alloys, plus I work in a coffee shop') or it's seen as an honorary title, only to be bestowed following some publicly recognised achievement in the field. I have this latter feeling about the title 'architect'. In many ways, I was closer to the activity I regard as 'architecture' when I was a student than I am now. But perhaps my own conception of 'architect' needs updating. And I guess that's significant too. Labels are interpreted in widely different ways, depending upon one's experience: frames of reference etc. Therefore, maybe it's not so sensible to invest any such label with great meaning...

Daphne! Did you see yourself as Apollo? And perhaps Dionysus has a role to play as well...
solidred

Postby P.C. » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:15 pm

"We can each then decide for ourselves whether we appreciate others' creative endeavors, or whether it is in fact "junk."

I do not disagrea compleatly, but realy true art alway's leave you with no doubt that this is unique, obvious extraordanary and beautifull.
I also belive that these things newer come by the attitude of wanting to make spetacular masterpieces it alway's come from serious engagement and it is alway's misinterprented by critics and curators.
P.C.
millennium club

Great art and architecture is not always perceived when new

Postby JWmHarmon » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:22 am

Note to solidred: I've been hanging around this forum for years, I just haven't had much to say lately; besides I've been busy with projects. And, no, I didn't think of myself as Apollo. I was more like Frank LLoyd Wright's description: "anyone over six feet tall is a weed." I was just a scared dairy farm boy from the flat land of northwest Ohio, USA, who developed an interest in art and architecture.

Great art and great architecture is not always perceived to be great at the time of their initial presentation to the public.

Vincent Van Gogh's greatest and best known work is perhaps Starry Night, but I have read that he couldn't sell his paintings during his life time.

Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings were sometimes ridiculed for being so different.

Maya Lin's Vietnam Veterans Memorial was controversial when first proposed and built, but is now one of the most visited sites in Washington, D.C. http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Maya_Lin.html

Be sure to read the full text of "The Creator's Words" http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Vietnam_Veterans_Memorial.html quoted here in part:

"It just popped into my head. Some people were playing Frisbee. It was a beautiful park. I didn't want to destroy a living park. You use the landscape. You don't fight with it. You absorb the landscape..."

When I visited the Memorial last summer and found the name of someone I had known, I also saw reflected in the wall the faces of all those who surrounded me in the present.

We sometimes see some part of ourselves or those we know reflected in the great works of art and architecture.
JWmHarmon

Next

Return to DesignCommunity Discussion