New Basement for Existing Home without demolition

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

New Basement for Existing Home without demolition

Postby tomg » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:03 am

Is it possible to add a basement to an existing home? We have a 2400 sq. ft. Ranch style house in Arizona. Several of our neighbors have basements. If it is possible how much would a project like that cost? :D
tomg

Postby Vic Viper » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:09 pm

everything is possibile. :lol: :lol:
i think it would cost a a lot (looooooot), and it would probably take a long time to get the whole project done.
Vic Viper

New Basement under existing house

Postby JWmHarmon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:16 am

It is possible to build a new basement under an existing house. The house would have to be jacked up and have steel I-beams placed under the walls and floors. If your house is built on a slab you may have to build a temporary floor to hold the walls together. Once the house is jacked up and rests on the steel I-beams, the basement can be excavated with a Bobcat loader or similar equipment unless it is built on solid rock.

The principle here is to support the existing house while doing the excavation and building of the basement. It is much the same as tranporting and setting up manufactured housing.

Another option that may or may not be available to you is to build the basement and foundation walls in front of or behind the house and then use the same I-beam procedure to move the house onto the new foundation.

I have seen this done on several occasions when new roads have been built and houses have been moved. I have also seen houses jacked up on I-beams and foundations built under them.

I do not know any cost factors for these projects.

I did one project many years ago where I jacked up my country cabin (20 feet X 30 feet) and dug footers under the walls a section at a time and poured footers and laid up concrete block. I used #4 rebar and let it stick out on the ends of each section. This allowed the next section to be locked into the rebar of each previous section. The concrete block repaced wood posts. My labor was "free" so I can't give you any cost estimates.

If you have room to build on, it may be more cost effective to build the addition with a basement, rather than putting the basement under the current house.
JWmHarmon

Postby stev0 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:03 pm

Tomg

Did you find any other information about adding a basement to existing slab house.? I have the same question.... I live in a 2800 sqft house on slab. I am wondering of a method that sacrifices the living room as the "dig" area, then "tunnel" a bit under other portions of the house....

I am guessing, barring code/permit issues, anything can be done... but I am curious has it been done???...and an approx. $$ sqft of added basement......

thanks
stev0

Postby cast » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:21 pm

we did a couple lifts on old houses a couple years ago and the price was about 15-20K. Then add the excavation and foundation.

As for the new basement under a slab on grade: That sounds like an ugly project. No way is the slab going to work as a floor, unless it was designed to span the distance. One of the houses I mentioned above, we actually attached the beams to every stud and just jacked up the perimeter, demo'd the floor, dug out a new basement, reframed it and dropped the house. All told, it was an adventure and not a path I would recommend given the cost (we did it only because city regulation confined the height and size of the structure as it was). Why not go up, instead of down?
cast

Basement under existing home

Postby RReeseconstruction » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm

tomg

yes it very possible to put a basement under an existing home my father and i have done it for years. we live in southern Indiana and have been doing for 31 years. I have have recently started doing it again after 3 years of retirement. the only problem you will have is if your house is a slab home it is impossible to do a slab, i say impossible anything is possible with the right amount of money but it would not be feasible to even try. as far as the cost for 2400 sqft the way we figure around here would cost about $60,000.
RReeseconstruction

Question for RReeseconstruction

Postby bigernie71 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I live in Indianapolis Indiana and would like a quote for a basement. Do you have contact information or a suggestion of another company that can perform this type of work.
Thanks,
bigernie71

Postby nanrehvasconez » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:33 pm

MORE PRACTICAL AND LESS EXPENSIVE WILL BE TO PUT A SECOND FLOOR BY RAISING THE ROOF OR BY CREATING ROOMS WITH DORMERS, COST BETWEEN 100 TO 150 BUCKS PER SQ FT.
nanrehvasconez

Postby starkca3 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 pm

hey why not dig adjacent to your house? If you have a large enough lot can you forgo the whole raising the house thing and dig adjacent? Then without moving the house at all dig a stairwell to the adjacent basement.

Unless there are zoning laws that I dont know about (very likely)
then it seems like a good idea to mee!!!!
starkca3

Postby starkca3 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 am

like this is what i'm thinkin.

Somebody tell me what is wrong with this! there could be something that i dont know!...(noob)

also please forgive the 2 second illustration

starkca3

Postby lekizz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 am

Note the question was four years ago, so they've probably built/undermined/demolished it by now
lekizz
millennium club

Postby starkca3 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 pm

OH....i wasnt paying attention to the date. Oops
starkca3

Postby KDANA » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:04 pm

I KNOW THIS CONVERSATION STARTED YEARS AGO, BUT I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT WHO DOES THIS AND GET A QUOTE/BID FOR RAISING A HOUSE FROM A CRAWL SPACE AND ADDING A FULL BASEMENT TO A HOME OF 1600 SQUARE FEET?
KDANA

Turn Crawl into Basement

Postby americrawl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Yes it is possible to turn crawl space into a basement. In fact AMERICRAWL INC. is working on one as I am typing this. Just for a ball park figure......they are installing a 2000 sq ft basement under a 3000 sq ft home at a cost of 77000. This is for an unfinished basement. Of course there are additional costs for finishing. Americrawl Inc. just installs the walls and floor. Americrawl is located in Central Indiana and serves Indiana, Eastern Illinois, Northern Kentucky, and Western Ohio. Americrawl can be reached at 317-788-1676 or toll free at 888-882-7295. Their website is http://www.americrawl.com if you would like to check them out.
americrawl

Postby mntimeworn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:20 pm

I have personally lifted a house off a slab by building beam pockets located under bearing walls throughout the house (non-bearing walls were tied into bearing walls so they wouldn't move when we lifted the home), we then slid the I-Beams through, raised the house 8' and then removed the slab with a jack-hammer and skidsteer. It added about 2 days labor over other homes we've lifted to add basements. I have run into 1 home that couldn't be lifted, it was a 150 year-old Oak Log home and weighed well over 100,000 lbs. The stem wall went down 4' and the floor was about 2' from the ground below. We started on 1 side of the home and hand dug the entire length of the house, once we reached 9' below floor level we formed up a wall to create a 10" cavity in which we filled with concrete and reinforced with rebar as well as rebar we drilled into the original limestone foundation. We did this on all 4 sides of the home and once that was done we dug all remaining dirt before bringing in 4" of sand and pouring the new basement slab. I would NOT suggest doing this as it took a LONG time, A LOT of money and REALLY torched my crew.
mntimeworn

Next

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum