Maple vs Oak hardwood floor

Discuss all kinds of home design and building, residential remodeling, and related topics.

Maple vs Oak hardwood floor

Postby j5v55 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 am

Hi all
For my new project, I wanted to use unfinished Maple Select grade.
However a contractor of mine said oak is stronger than maple and you don't want to use maple.
I checked the wood hardness table.
( by the way I buy the finish material incld. Hard wood.
This shows the opposit. Maple is strong than oak.

Which one is correct?
j5v55

Re: Maple vs Oak hardwood floor

Postby unclebirgco » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Both wood species make an excellent, durable floor material
so I wouldn't let a small difference on the hardness scale determine your choice. Pick the one that is the most aesthetically pleasing to you.

What's probably more important is how you finish the floor.
I would think carefully about the level of gloss (or shine)
you would like. Satin or semi-gloss are the most popular but there are many alternatives to standard latex or oil polyurethane and choosing something a little different may depend on your budget and the amount of traffic the floor will experience.
unclebirgco

Postby csintexas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:07 am

I guess that there are some softer maple varieties but generally maple is harder than oak. Some laminated wood flooring uses soft woods under the finished layer which do create a softer finished floor. (more prone to denting)
csintexas
millennium club

Postby april_luv » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 am

Oak is a good bit more durable than wood floors are, as the grain of the wood is more tightly packed than maple, thus it is less likely to become damaged in the event of spills, gouges, cracks or warping.

Aluminum fence l Custom driveway gates
april_luv

Postby sbid » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:11 am

I've had both maple and red oak. I don't like the color of maple (find it very yellow and maple doesn't take stain well) but I found maple to be more durable than oak, at the same price point.

British Interior Design
sbid

Return to Residential Design and Building Forum