LightHouse

Discuss architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design related-topics. Moderated by the ArchitectureWeek editorial and support team.

LightHouse

Postby csintexas » Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am

I went back and worked on better renderings of my LightHouse concept.

LightHouse by csintexas, on Flickr
csintexas
millennium club

Re: LightHouse

Postby Kevin » Tue May 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Very cool. The top rotates to face the sun?
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby csintexas » Tue May 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Kevin,
Yes, It increases the panel efficiency by 30% or more. (can't remember the exact figure but increases with trees close by)

So my concept is to get it high and track the sun. Also good in hot climates because the porch stays shady all day. And the porch up high makes a nice sleeping porch -like in the old days before AC.

It also has movable window/skylight shade/insulation which can either shade the window or gather more light and at night can close to insulate them.

Maybe it is not really practical for most houses but I thought it would be a really cool feature for other building types as well.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Tue May 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Here is a full day:

Contact Sheet by csintexas, on Flickr
csintexas
millennium club

Postby Kevin » Tue May 28, 2013 4:16 pm

I love it! Relatively easy to turn, like an observatory dome. Hardware available. Need to get the wiring harness right.

Castle turret tops for the 21st century!

Now I'm thinking about this idea as a possible alternative or supplement to adding a couple of big dormers on a ceiling-raising remodeling project coming up. Basic traditional house on a farm - maybe it could be a silo-top allusion...
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby csintexas » Tue May 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Yes, I had considered the similarities to silos. It would especially be cool if one could be salvaged and repurposed.

I think that there are already a few rotating houses so I do not think it will be technically difficult.

The observatory dome is a good idea I wonder if there are kits available? (-ah yes, already found a few)
csintexas
millennium club

Return to Architecture Forum