Architecture and Interior Designer relationships

Discuss architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design related-topics. Moderated by the ArchitectureWeek editorial and support team.

Architecture and Interior Designer relationships

Postby Lapukintern123 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi,
I'm an intern for an interior designer and I was wondering if architects are ever asked for referrals to interior designers? The interior designer I work for wants to make connections with architects, but she doesn't know how.
My idea is that if we contact some architects and make a mutual relationship where we are each others referral systems then it would be beneficial to both parties, however, I am not sure if architects are ever asked for such referrals or if they are even interested. If anybody has a clue please write back.
Lapukintern123

Postby joelmckellar » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:29 pm

I think instead of relationships between interior architects/designers and architects it's more common for an architecture firm to have interior architects/designers in-house.
joelmckellar

I agree with you.

Postby hauntn » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 am

Hi,
I am architect. I think that, relation between architecture and interiour of one project is very important.architects should discuss deeply with interiour designer when they make projects. I don't like architectural projects which the relations is not good. I understand that , if architectural projcets become perffectly this mean that the relation between architect and interiour designer is good. This is my thinkings and principes.
Thank you!
hauntn

Postby AM Putra » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:48 pm

An interior designer, actually, is a part of architecture. if your interior designer firm want to make some referrals, then you should send a tender to an architecture firm, especially which need it.
AM Putra

Postby solidred » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 am

Our firm has some in-house interior designers. There's about 65 architects / assistants / technicians and three int. designers, so you get the idea. I'd have thought that smaller architects' offices would look to an interiors commission as something they'd prefer to have a go at themselves.

I guess the trick to attracting architectural collaboration is to build up a really cutting edge designer profile that they'd respect. For more run-of-the-mill stuff, my impression is that the disciplines tend to stick to their seperate corners, with cliches abounding both in what they respectively produce and in terms of what they think of one another...
solidred

Postby RSCarcht » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Architecture firms and interior designers work together all the time. The key is putting the right team together for the benefit of the client.

In my experience architects are always inverviewing Interior Designers and vice versa so that when requirements arise the right resource is at hand.

There has to be a very clear distinction in who is doing what work and which of the two parties is making the final propsal to the client so there will invariably be a dominant and subordinate partner on every project.

And to get refereals you have to be able to give referals, which neither architects and designers like to do if they feel they can do the work themselves.
RSCarcht

Postby mx2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:08 pm

And there's a hidden danger to giving referrals...if the referral doesn't pan out or ends on bad terms, the client looks to you as the one who referred them. In the small firms I've worked, usually the client hires the interior designer and "forces" the architect to work with them, as a design consultant. In larger firms, most have in-house interior design departments.

mx2.5
mx2
millennium club

Return to Architecture Forum