Use a 2D plan of the house in design workshop

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Use a 2D plan of the house in design workshop

Postby Deepa7476 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:47 am

Hi
I am new to 3 D modelling
Started as a hobby after brainstorming by our family towards our new home
I am still trying to get the grip of basics by reading both offline and online tutorials

I have 2D paln of our new home
can any one tell me how to use that as a base to develp a 3D structure
or
should i start the 3D drawing itself..with the 2d plan (printi out) as my reference

if so..i would like some step-by-step instruction specifying..plot size..add rooms..etc etc.

Thank You

DEAR MODERATORS:If you feel this post is inappropriate for gropu pls feel free to move this post and intimate me on the same
Deepa7476

Postby Deepa7476 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:13 am

Hi
Freinds...I see that 43 members have already viewed this topic
and not one to pass on a message to me
Please ..
if you have any information rearding how i may solve my problem please do reply to this post

If you feel any other software can be of more hlep donot hesitate to mentaion that link in your post

Thank you
Deepa7476

2D plan into 3D design

Postby Steel Shade » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:48 pm

What you describe is actually quite simple to do in DesignWorkshop:

First you need a digital version of your floor plan, perhaps by using a scanner. It is best to scale your plan in your Imaging software (PhotoShop, etc.), but I will describe a way around that if that is not an option for you (If you can scale it in your imaging software, just ignore anything about scaling). Then open a new file in DesignWorkshop and go to View/Plan. Then go to File/Background/Open and select the scanned image of your floor plan. you should see your floor plan in plan view, ready to draw on!

From here, there are several ways to procede, but I will explain one that I think will be easiest for you:

1) Your background plan is probably not to scale, but you'll fix that later. Type Ctrl + ' (yes, an appostrophy) to enter the dimensions Dialouge box and enter perhaps 1" (that means 1 inch, those are quote marks there) as the Snap Grid Spacing. Also, while here, set the Length to "Feet and Inches". It is important that you work with snap on, or you will create a headache for yourself later.
2) Use the rectangle tool to make big rectangles on your plan, one for each room. Critical: draw the rectangles on the outside edge of the walls, not the inside. If some of your rooms are not rectangular, just use the Polyline Tool to make irregualr boxes around the outside of the walls of your rooms (hold down the Shift key to make straight north-south, east-west lines). We will extrude and Wallify these shapes later. Don't worry about those parts of the rectangles that cross empty space, you'll deal with that later; you just want the basic shapes of the rooms for now. It is not necessary to trace around the inner side of the walls.
3) So with boxes around your rooms, it's time to scale them to the right size, because you need to scale before you extrude and wallify. Select All (Ctrl + A) and Group (Ctrl + G); this will make all the rectangles and such "grow together" when you scale it. If you know how wide the house is supposed to be, or any other long dimension of your house, draw a line on the plan across that dimention (Holding the Shift key to make it straight). Select the line and check how long it is in the Object Info window (Ctrl + I). Divide that distance into how long it should really be and mutiply by 100; that is scale percentage you should put into the Edit/Scale command now (in both east-west and north-south fields, but not height).
4) Now your room boxes are properly scaled. Ungroup them (Shift + Ctrl + G). If you desire perfect accuracy, now is the time to double check that the overlaps between rectangles where your walls are are the correct thickness; adjust any that aren't.
5) Select one box at a time and extrude them into 3D shapes: in the Object Info window type in the desired height (in the "Vert" for vertical) box. This can always be adjusted later.
6) Once all boxes are extruded, Wallify (Ctrl + Alt + W) each box in turn using the desired wall thickness, 4" for interior walls and 6" to 8" for exterior walls are typical.
7) You likely have many extra walls where you don't need them at this point in your 3D model. Either delete or Trim them back as necessary. Adjust wall height and use the opening tools to cut out windows and doors, etc. to taste.

That's it! I hope you are not intimidated by the length of this reply, it really is not any easier in any other program, and it's not really that much anyway.

I also recommend you to download my Tips & Techniques for DesignWorkshop file in a nearby thread for more on using DesignWorkshop (shameless self promotion, but I don't work for them, I just like the program).

Good luck, have fun, post back here with any difficulties or problems, I'll be happy to help out as much as possible.[/u]
Steel Shade

Postby Deepa7476 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:55 am

Thankx frind
I shall surely try out your step-by-step instruction
I am glad taht you have taken timeout of your busy schedule to give me such a detailed reply
I shall surely update you as soon i complete the instructions that you have given to me to the last word

Thank you
Deepa
Deepa7476

Postby rlmrdl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks for this, it is omne of the most useful instructions I've come across

On thing that I'm not clear on yet is how we handle the points where rooms overlap and their walls make a Z instead of an L where they overlap

Also, how do we handle the mitres on the corners of the wallified rooms when we need to cut a piece of wall out at the corner?

For example, a wall that has a butt end into a space because the doors either side may be set back a little. After wallifying the end of the wall will be mitred, but i want it to be squared off. I've tried doing it with the mouse and made a mess of it, is there any command/ menu/ object dialogue that we can use to change the ends?

Thanks
rlmrdl

Postby cadpak » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:19 am

I don´t know if this is "the" official way to do it but you can

- Create a new wall segment to the desired height and exact width exactly over over mtred wall (snapping to one handle and typing the exact width in the object window for exemple), ending where you want it to cut off.
- Now delete the awkard mitred wall, select the new segment and go to
the command menu: Arrange > Fit object > [in the direction of the next mitred wall the deleted wall joined with ].

You should now have the wall the way you wanted
Hope that helped. :)
cadpak

Thanks Petur

Postby rlmrdl » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:14 pm

I eventually wound up using the cut tool. Cut the mitre off,delete the section and then use the fit tool.

It means a manual tidy of the first wall you change, but after that it is fairly quick.

Cheers
rlmrdl

Postby Hank Roberts » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Thanks for asking this question. It's defeated me in the past, but I'm going to give it another try now with these instructions.

I never got the "trace" feature to work.
Hank Roberts

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion