Ever onward!

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Ever onward!

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:43 pm

Some of you have asked me for comment on the situation of Kevin, and Artifice, and DesignWorkshop.

For most of the last two years, ongoing legal proceedings made it inappropriate - or worse - for me to comment on these matters -- a painful but absolute discipline, that was required both tactically and legally.

At various stations along the way, virtually all of a painfully broad range of jeopardies had to be countenanced as real possibilities. But by the end of 2004, the last of the cascade of proceedings was generally resolved. While the dust is still settling, the getting back toward "normal" process around here is under way.

Not that our version of normal would necessarily pass anywhere else! :-)

The aftermath of this forced ordeal finds me happily single, back again at my ridgeline forest home, and fully in control of Artifice, which itself is back in its comfortable and accustomed offices. With luck, the costs of severance from former inlaw investors will continue to be survivable.

I want to sincerely thank all the wonderful friends who helped me in so many ways through a very dark period. And I want to thank the staff of Artifice, who kept the day-to-day operations running incredibly smoothly through blizzards of externally created crises, and who took responsibility so effectively during the many times when I was available intermittently at best. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I also want to thank all the clients and users and visitors of Artifice sites and products. You are who we work for, and your appreciation and support is literally what keeps us going. Thank you!

During that two-year tunnel, the complexities of bringing out a major new release of any of our primary software products was not to be contemplated. Nonetheless (well, only somewhat the less), software research and development work at Artifice has continued. We have some significant technologies built up backstage, cool stuff which we are anxious to roll out into your hands as quickly as cost and quality will allow.

While DesignWorkshop continues to be a productive tool in Classic Mac OS, I am solidly among those who now use that old environment as little as possible, and I hereby apologize for the slow pace of our support for Mac OS X in native form. With the continuing strong market response to our whole range of products and publications, we're finally able to work hard toward doing something about that as quickly as possible.

While the timing of a major OS transition has impacted our Mac users relatively harshly, requiring a priority response, we are also looking forward to delivering pent-up new core technologies to our Windows-using clients with all available speed. We remain firmly committed to both branches of an integrated dual-platform software approach.

There is still a lot of information about our plans I won't reveal for the usual (and very real) competitive reasons. I do hope this statement will help you understand the context in which we now are moving forward.

Finally, thanks to the long-time DesignWorkshop user whose recent visit with me in Eugene helped to remind me how much some of you have been needing to hear from me.

All best wishes,

Kevin Matthews
matthews@artifice.com
President, Artifice, Inc.

http://www.artifice.com/about_artifice.html
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby strang » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:04 am

Kevin;
Welcome back! I'm glad you made it. Keep us posted.
Ray Strang
strang

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion