Preview: Running DW on an Intel Mac using Parallels

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Preview: Running DW on an Intel Mac using Parallels

Postby David Owen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm

This 10-step outline is a high-level description of how I recently got DesignWorkshop running on an Intel Mac using DesignWorkshop for Windows, Parallels 5 and a copy of Windows XP.

For the uninitiated: This kludge may actually be seen as a step forward for the die-hard (and beloved) DW Mac user because current versions of DW for Mac don't run on an Intel Mac - only on PowerPC Macs.

Sometime in the near future, I'll post a much more detailed step-by-step report with links and screenshots.

DW on Parallels

1. Install Parallels (standard Mac OS installer stuff)

2. Install Windows (point Parallels at the Windows disk, pick your preferred Windows installation options, wait, wait some more.)

3. Install DW (straightforward)

4. Launch DW, if you get a QD3D error, do #5, or else, skip to #6.

5. Install QuickDraw 3D using the QuickTime 5.0 installer, custom installation option (the QT 5.0 may want to defer to the QT 6.5.2 installer, if the installer insists on 6.5.2, install _only_ QuickDraw 3D.)

6. Try using the Block Tool. If the Alt key doesn't work as expected, remap "alt" to "Z". (couple steps in Parallels)

7. If you're a Mac user, consider remapping the "Control" key to the "Command" key.

8. Decide how you'd like to use Parallels: Coherency mode, Crystal mode, Full screen mode, etc.

9. Know a bit about Parallels: get to release control of the keyboard and mouse from Windows (press Control+Alt); depending on your installed RAM and processor speed, be prepared for performance bog-down in your other Mac apps too.

10. Go forth, fair modeler, and create!

Please send any questions, corrections, clarifications or comments to support@artifice.com
David Owen

Windows 7 and expense?

Postby Rolando » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Will DW run in Windows 7? I'm hesitant to install Windows because of lack of need, but if I were to, I would want to use the best available, which is Windows 7, not Windows XP. Also, what about the expense? Purchase the Parallels program, the Windows system, a PC version of DW? I don't know, I think I'd rather spend the money on an OSX version of DW. ???
Rolando

Postby Rolando » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 am

Nine months and still waiting for a response. Does anybody at Artifice ever come back to read the posts on this forum?
Rolando

Postby Rolando » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:07 am

I thought of another question. Is DW a universal app, or would I have to buy or upgrade to a Windows version?
Rolando

Postby David Owen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Dear Rolando,

Thanks for your questions!

DesignWorkshop should run in any 32-bit version of the Windows OS, including Windows 7 and Vista, though we have not extensively tested these combinations. I suspect there could be some collateral compatibility issues related to versions of QuickTime and QuickDraw 3D required by DW and the versions supported by these newer operating systems.

DesignWorkshop may run on a 64-bit version of Windows, but its installer (a 16-bit application) will not normally run on such an OS.

Of course, DesignWorkshop works very well with anything from Windows 95 to Windows XP.

My personal preference is Windows 2000, which was an especially solid version of the OS. And since you can run pretty much any OS version (or several) using Parallels, it's possible to select an OS that's optimized for the software you're using.

Owners of DesignWorkshop Classic and Professional can use the software on either Windows or the Mac OS. If you have a DesignWorkshop CD, the installers for both versions are included on the disc.

If you no longer have your disc, or you bought a download-only version, you can download the latest DesignWorkshop installer through the confidential owners area:

http://www.artifice.com/entry.html

If you don't yet have a login for the owners area, you can request one here:

http://www.artifice.com/cgi-bin/password_request.cgi

Please let us know any time you have other questions!

Best wishes,

David Owen
support@artifice.com
David Owen

Postby Rolando » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the information, David. I already have Windows 7 with Parallels, so I try that. The most recent version of DW was probably a download for me, but I've been a member of the owner's area. In fact, I checked there just recently in case there was a version I didn't already have.

(Sorry about the snarky comment, I didn't think anyone was paying attention.)
Rolando

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion