Suggestions on Software Please

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Suggestions on Software Please

Postby tilegirl » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06 am

Hello.
I am getting ready to do some design work with a Historic Preservationist for both residential and commercial. This will probably incorporate new construction projects as well. My background is in historic preservation, hard surfaces design, interiors, and kitchen and bath design. I have used 20/20, which is basically for cabinet design. I have not much experience in general design software, and was wondering if someone could tell me what they would recommend? I would like to find something that I could scan pictures into. I would also like something that had access to historic architectural design elements such as items with a radius like arches over windows and brackets,etc. It needs to present to the client a visualization of the drawing in something like a 3-D format. It will probably be used in some cases as a working drawing as well by the builder or GC. These are probably basic questions, I know. I am just not sure where to start.
Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks,
Renae
tilegirl

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Rhino , always
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:04 pm

SketchUp Pro for your 3D work and maybe AutoCAD LT if you need to produce nice clean 2D plans and elevations. Both work well together.
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm

progecad smart is free. and 100% autocad compatible

http://www.download.com/progeCAD-2008-S ... 77485.html
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:30 pm

Antisthenes wrote:progecad smart is free. and 100% autocad compatible

http://www.download.com/progeCAD-2008-S ... 77485.html

But not for commercial use, I thought we had went over this before? Pretty sure they said commercial work in the 1st post.
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:36 pm

then get the 100$ flavor... i doubt Caddit is going to sue anybody, other than their parent organization defending against autodesk saying they can't use the dwg format.
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Antisthenes wrote:then get the 100$ flavor... i doubt Caddit is going to sue anybody, other than their parent organization defending against autodesk saying they can't use the dwg format.

DWG is their file format. I also think the Smart version has a watermark when printed.
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:05 pm

i think that is what the court is finding nobody can 'own a file format'

http://www.cadalot.co.uk/icad/faq.htm

here is some more technicals on intellicads abilities and a comparison.

smart is not offered any longer except on free download sites. and the pro is very easy to find a
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Antisthenes wrote:i think that is what the court is finding nobody can 'own a file format'

http://www.cadalot.co.uk/icad/faq.htm

here is some more technicals on intellicads abilities and a comparison.

Well I think that's bullshit. If I develop an application and it uses it's own file format then yes, it is intelligent property to me. This smacks of "sour grapes" to the ones that want DWG files but not willing to pay for the rights to develop for it.

smart is not offered any longer except on free download sites. and the pro is very easy to find a

Wow, I guess their business model of the free software didn't work. I guess too many people used it for commercial work. I guess AutoDesk made them fail :roll:
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:39 pm

No format can be owned, ideas being owned goes counter to the laws of mathematics.

DWG is so widely used much like DOC format for any company to 'claim' it would be anti-competitive under current law especially if you want to let others compete. (see the xml format and the MS suits with EU and US for president), your personal opinions aside.

monopolization has already caused enough harm and you would have people pay for rights to use a corporations 'IP'

sorry this is the 2000's not the 90's even the RIAA realizes this and the battle against DRM continues so we can have a more open world every day.

i think intellicad charging members money and not being as open source as people would have hoped may be a more contributing factors than anything autodesk did.
Antisthenes

Postby F700ES » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Sure it can. Your argument is not valid. There is intellectuality property and only the ones that want to leech off what others have done think that there is none. Sorry but there is. AutoDesk owns DWG much like Adobe owns PDF, AI and PSD.
You are twisting the facts to suite your own opinion.
If I create a work of music or a file type and copyright it I own it for the period that the law allows. Now I should have the right to allow others to use or distribute it as I see fit but giving copies or reverse engineering it without my permission is wrong.

BTW DOC is not owned by MS. They just chose to use it way back when.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOC_(computing)

Again, your argument is weak.

Antisthenes wrote:No format can be owned, ideas being owned goes counter to the laws of mathematics.

DWG is so widely used much like DOC format for any company to 'claim' it would be anti-competitive under current law especially if you want to let others compete. (see the xml format and the MS suits with EU and US for president), your personal opinions aside.

monopolization has already caused enough harm and you would have people pay for rights to use a corporations 'IP'

sorry this is the 2000's not the 90's even the RIAA realizes this and the battle against DRM continues so we can have a more open world every day.

i think intellicad charging members money and not being as open source as people would have hoped may be a more contributing factors than anything autodesk did.
F700ES

Postby Antisthenes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:56 pm

the argument is not mine it is that of the US law and fair use and anti-competition clauses, study law?

how do you think there are 100+ companies that also are able to make PDF and not run into any trouble for it?

lighten up bro. what can be done will be done and it is better to not defend or place road blocks that prevent progress.

these are good reads i came across while researching

The FTC allowed Autodesk to purchase Softdesk after Autodesk agreed to: (1) spin off IntelliCAD; (2) not attempt re-acquire the technology; (3) not attempt to acquire any company that owns or controls IntelliCAD; and (4) not interfere with employees who leave Autodesk to work with IntelliCAD

&

some good stuff on the ODA, Verner, and Solidworks cases

http://cadcourt.com
Antisthenes

progeCAD Smart! has been suspended.

Postby caddit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 am

i doubt Caddit is going to sue anybody

Unfortunately new registrations for progeCAD Smart! must be temporarily suspended until further notice.
caddit

Re: progeCAD Smart! has been suspended.

Postby F700ES » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 am

caddit wrote:
i doubt Caddit is going to sue anybody

Unfortunately new registrations for progeCAD Smart! must be temporarily suspended until further notice.

Why, it seemed like a good idea. Give uses a light weight CAD program and hope to entice power users to pay the low cost pro version. I am glad Google went this route with SketchUp.
F700ES

progeCAD Smart was not "light weight"

Postby caddit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:44 am

Give uses a light weight CAD program and hope to entice power users

We don't need a free version to entice power users. Our commercial products already offer excellent value for their low cost. Commercial users were never supposed to be working with Smart! to begin with. If they wanted something "to try out first", that is what the 30-day evaluation period is for.

Our purpose with Smart! was strictly to offer a free way to work well with AutoCAD files for the thousands of deserving charities, students, churches and organizations.

You are also wrong about "light weight CAD". progeCAD Smart! offered full DWG compatibility, AutoLISP and SDS programming as well as many hours of hard work and customization to produce a real piece of software these organizations and students could use. It was very powerful.

It is obvious to me these efforts were not appreciated.

That's a pity.
caddit

Next

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion