Can't get through tutorial

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Can't get through tutorial

Postby l_matlock » Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 pm

I have never tried graphic design or any architecture but I thought the program sounded cool so I downloaded it and I made it through the first tutorial on mass building and I have wallified but I can't figure out how to only select one wall to cut in the window openings. I always end up selecting the whole block. I hope this doesn't sound to stupid, but I really have no idea what I am doing. Thanks if anyone can help.
l_matlock

tutorial

Postby roberto paredes » Sun May 20, 2007 11:53 am

DW is a solid modeler, so when you create a block is actually a solid like a cube made of of solid rock. If the you select the block and then use the window tool, it will cut an opening through the "whole block". If you want to only cut an opening on a face, the block must be "wallified" first (must assign a wall thickness) the original block will then be converted to 6 thin blocks each located to align with the faces of the original block, say each block will be 4 inches thick... to cut an opening, now you can select the specific face block (wall) with the select tool and use the window tool to "draw" an opening on the face of the block (wall) the opening can also be sized via the info box. Switch views (elevation- north ,side etc) to get a better view of what you are doing if you need to....
roberto paredes

Postby David Owen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 am

Thanks Roberto, for that great reply!

Though, actually the wallify command will make 4 vertical wall objects from a normal block, rather than 6 objects as you said.

Otherwise, you're absolutely correct. Before cutting windows, the massing block of the house in the tutorial must first be wallified, using the "Edit, Wallify" menu command.
David Owen

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion