Beginner problem - can't wallify gable roof

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Beginner problem - can't wallify gable roof

Postby Lefthander » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 am

Hi
Please excuse the rookie ignorance.
I have just started using DW lite to help visualise creating a simple loft room with rooflight windows in a gable roof. I have successfully created the roof space by using a massing block and then dragging the mid-edge handles to a ridge line. Unfortunately this roof loft space will then not wallify and so, when I try to create the window openings, the roof is treated as a sold mass and the result is recesses in a block - not windows. If I wallify the original block BEFORE making it a roof there are then no mid-edge handles to drag to make the roof.
Could a more experienced user help me out? Thanks in advance.
Lefthander

Postby David Owen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:03 pm

Great question!

There's a different technique for making a spatial gable roof, rather than the massing roof that's described in the first tutorial. Steps 1 through 6 of the intermediate tutorial "Constructing a Spatial Dormer" describe the process, which can be applied equally well to the main building as to the dormer.

This tutorial can be found at:

http://www.artifice.com/support/user_gu ... _3-00.html

Please see also, this discussion about the same issue, with additional step-by-step instructions and example model:

http://arch.designcommunity.com/viewtop ... =3542#3542
David Owen

Postby Lefthander » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Many thanks David, I'll check those out.
My architect is a charming older guy - but 'Olde School' too! - and only provides 2D plans, so it's hard to visualise a pitched roof space. When I get this cracked it will really help.
Cheers
Rob
Lefthander

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion