Newbie needs help pls

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Newbie needs help pls

Postby bluedog » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Hi, I am an absolute beginner trying to teach myself DesignWorkshop. I downloaded the free trial, and did the tutorial etc.

My purpose is to play with renovation ideas for my own home, and as a starting point I am using the surveyors report,(.dwg file) for the existing building and site footprint. (It also has easements and levels data etc)

I managed to import it into program ok on the free software and played around with building up the walls etc. However I could not save as the number of objects exceeds 100. I was very keen to use it, so i went and bought the Classic software and downloaded it.

Two things, I couldn't then use the same import function to open the attached .dwg (as I could with the free software) but then even when I got around that, I STILL can't save even the basic surveyors report as apparently it has more than the 1000 objects limit?!

I am an absolute novice, but I figure there must be a simple way around this. I have tried some of the help topics without success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Jono
bluedog

Postby GaryV » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:38 am

Welcome Jono,

What I would suggest is to use the survey as a template to draw/create over the top of (on another layer) and then delete it. Draw over the property lines and also create the structure over their objects in DW. Then once you have what you need, delete the survey. Depending on how it was drawn there may be many thousand small objects comprising arcs and lines which you flat out do not need. I know there is an object limit on the lite version but not sure on Classic.

Not sure if this is the issue or not but you might try this as an option.

-Gary
GaryV

Postby bluedog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 pm

This sounds perfect, but forgiving my continued ignorance how do I do that exactly? Can I open one file and view it through another, or are you suggesting I make the surveyors image ground level and build over it say 1m off the ground?

I am experimenting with this, selecting each line a duplicating linear 1m above. Is this what you had in mind?

Much appreciation..
Jono
bluedog

Postby GaryV » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Import the drawing. Group it.

Create another layer. Draw on that new layer ("over the top" was figurative in the layering sense). Once you have everything you need from the survey delete it or its layer. You will still have the other objects on the second layer your created (or multiple layers "above" [layers wise] the survey.

Hope this clears up the semantics issue.

Gary
GaryV

Postby bluedog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:59 am

SWEET, now I get the idea, layering with the phases window.

I have been reading up, so I think I can put in practice now. I haven't had a chance to actually try yet as I have this pesky thing called a real job taking up my time.

Thanks again Gary...

Cheers
Jono
bluedog

Postby GaryV » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 am

Sorry...I am a little rusty. I should have called them phases instead of layers. But you got the picture and that is what counts.

Good luck and keep us posted.

G
GaryV

Working in 2D first

Postby rlmrdl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:46 am

GaryV wrote:Sorry...I am a little rusty.
G

You sound like you know what you are doing and yopu've been around however, so here's another newbie question.

I have been trying to work in 2 D to get a plan view of an existing house, but I'm having trouble understanding how to make it work.

The Polyline tool does not operate as described in the help file which says that I should draw a line with the tool, click on each intermediate point and then double click to end the line.

But when I click the point on the first part, the tool closes and leaves the line by itself. When I click again it creates a second line, rather than a single line with an inflection point part way along. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I have turned on snap to grid but the tools still allow me to create lines that are near grid points that do NOT snap to the grid points. Again, what am I doing wrong? OK, figured that out, needed to set the grid spacing and the snap grid spacing to the same value

Finally, when I create an outline at last, how do i give the line thickness? I have tried selecting it and changing the attributes in the object dialogue, but it doesn't seem to make a bar out of a line.??? In fact when I use the select tool and click outside the line, the line vanishes until I "reselect it, or selct all. How do i work with lines that go invisible on me?

Cheers
rlmrdl

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion