Combine Objects

Discuss DesignWorkshop design-oriented 3D CAD and associated CAD and architectural rendering and design media topics. Moderated by the Artifice support team.

Combine Objects

Postby Freddie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:43 pm

Is there a way to combine DesignWorkshop objects so that the cut lines do not show? I have tried Grouping and while this allows treating the objects as one, the cutlines still clutter the wireline views.
Freddie

Postby David Owen » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Simply changing your view mode can help with some of the visual clutter.

Viewing in Wireframe mode, you'll necessarily see all the edges of all objects, which certainly gets more cluttered as your model grows in complexity. The Hidden Line and Shading view modes render objects with solid faces, which reduces the number of lines you'll see.

In Shading mode, you see both shaded faces and black object edges by default. You can turn off the black edge rendering in Shading mode by clicking once on the "View, Hidden Line" command. This might be enough for your needs.

In some cases, it's possible to make a single complex object by tracing (and then extruding) the outline of several objects using the Polyline tool. This technique only works if the original objects all have the same thickness and are in the same plane (eg, in the case of several objects that form a single, continuous wall).

If you have a particular situation in mind, please feel free to share your model file or screenshots to illustrate the issue. With more information, we might have more specific suggestions.
David Owen

Polyline tool

Postby rlmrdl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:12 am

That sounds like good advice, but how do I give the line thickness? If the wall I trace is 150mm, the model needs to show that. But the tool doesn't seem to offer that possibility. When I use the object dialogue to tell it 150mm E-W the line appears to jump to the east, but not get thicker.
rlmrdl

Return to DesignWorkshop Discussion