New to LEED

Questions, answers, and discussion specifically related to practical working issues with LEED and other robust green certification systems.

New to LEED

Postby garnerm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Does anyone know what the benefits are for the design team (architect/engineers) for getting a building LEED certified? Is there some kind of tax break/cuts they get or some sort of check from the government they can apply for?

I'm a new LEED AP and electrical engineer at a MEP consulting firm and wanted to know this information. We haven't worked on any LEED projects but have worked on some very green projects before and want to know these answers so maybe I can market it to some of my clients (architects/owners/contractors) to pursue getting buildings LEED certified.

A couple of more questions. How can I get a project LEED certified if I need experience to do so? Do I just need to be on a LEED design team for two projects? How can I do this if I am the only person LEED certified that I work with? I don't think I will be able to get any experience before hand because I am the only person who is accredit to do so and will be the first to do so? I became LEED AP so that I could market this and hopefully make more money getting buildings LEED certified.

Last question: Can I certified an apartment since its housing development and not NEW Construction? I passed the LEED AP New Construction exam.

Thanks to all who reply and just read!!!!!!!! :D
garnerm

Postby svenglezz-ASMEIL » Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm

I don't know to much about the fadish' LEED but my recomendations would be as you stated "we have worked on some very green projects" I would stress the "past" projects, and show-case them.

With regards to being informed on energy etc. in particular electrical, study the A.S.H.R.A.E. 90.1 and the electrical program, it's a science in it's self lol.

Goodluck,
Sven
svenglezz-ASMEIL

Return to LEED and Green Certification Forum