Broken Tools, Powercadd suggestions

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Broken Tools, Powercadd suggestions

Postby MLSherrod » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Good afternoon!

Ideas on Powercadd releases:
Tabs tabs tabs. Would be nice to have tabs like safari, sketch, even text edit has tabs

Live area is amazing, can we get a table tool that can import this info and use excel type formulas in said table?

Pixel tool, did my pixel tool license get revoked, It was good, and could be even better #let's get that back! Right now, opening the pixel tool box shows just a white box
MLSherrod

Re: Broken Tools, Powercadd suggestions

Postby jcarcht » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 pm

It's conceivable that Pixel Tool just didn't load when you upgraded your program. Check "Loader" and see if Pixel Tool shows up, and, if so, is it checked? I had this issue with Fence Cut and that corrected it.

One thing about the PowerCadd table in the Advanced Text tool is that inserting rows and columns where you want them inserted isn't possible. This results in time-consuming moving rows and columns of text to better accommodate what one wants to do. You can only insert new rows after the last row, and columns after the last column. The table has so much potential it's a shame that it has this kind of limitation. Being able to insert an Excel-developed table would be a very nice feature.
jcarcht

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am

It used to be (a long time ago) that the standard way of developing software was that it was created in the company and working with a few selected beta testers, then you would market the new version and sell people on the new things.

I’ve never been sold on that concept. I usually do something in WildTools every day (today I’m working on an Emoji tool) and I like to have people use the tools and form their own opinions. So new things expire, and I try to arrange things so the expiration happens sometime before we announce a new release. But then nothing ever happens when you would like.

So PixelTools is prerelease software, and it will be back with our next release or upgrade.

I’m going to be very interested to see users’ reactions to the Emoji tool. For myself, I prefer the English language. I’m arranging the choices in groups for reactions, nature, objects, flags, etc.

I see reactions as a way to mark up a drawing sent to you for review with positive and enthusiastic, neutral/quizzical and negative reactions.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks Alfred for the continued labor and enthusiasm. I use PowerCADD (and WildTools) every day. Nice to know someone is improving it every day!
pbacot
millennium club

Postby MLSherrod » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Alfred! Also, am I crazy, or did I used to get area information in my edit window when selecting a rectangle, square or polygon. I think we're missing that feature too :( :cry:
MLSherrod

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Michael,

It’s still there. Just expand the Edit Window to reveal this stuff.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Well here goes: I SURE wish there were a dedicated window for Sheets as for layers! The pull down menus are getting old. I am constantly switching and managing sheets towards the end of the project, flipping through pull down menus. The switching between sheets is instantaneous and one click to go to a sheet, in an open dialog window would be wonderful!

As an aside the Print / no print function is not useful,IMO, for the layers, but it would be very useful in the sheets window, to come. Then running a set of prints might also be one click almost but not as good as the 3ed party Print utility that we used to have, the name of which escapes me now.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.49.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.49.38 PM.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
What happened to the tool that cut objects by a polygon? The icon looks something like this:
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Derek » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:00 pm

pbacot wrote:
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.49.38 PM.png
What happened to the tool that cut objects by a polygon? The icon looks something like this:

Hi Peter,
It has been moved to the New Tools palette. I can't remember why though.
Derek
Derek

Postby Alfred Scott » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm

The drawing tools have developed over time, and there has always been a debate/argument over what the tools should do and how they should behave. There was a time when many of the things we all take for granted were shocking and revolutionary.

Originally Apple advocated select then act, so the earliest way to fillet was to select two objects then choose Fillet from a menu. Then software companies developed tools where you could have a Fillet tool where you could click on one object, then move the mouse and click on another.

And we all understood the need for ease of learning, ease of use and consistency of behavior.

I seem to recall that Joe Burke suggested the Trim with Object tool. The behavior was odd in that you would first select the trimming object, then click on lines. And it only trimmed lines. So as time went by there was always a discussion over whether we had too many tools and the variations in interface created technical support problem.

So I didn’t know if anyone used the tool and concluded it would be eliminated. Then a user protested the removal, so I brought it back and stuck it in the NewTools palette where it was available if you want it but does not clutter up the main WildTools palette so it doesn’t get in the way of your workflow.

And ideas develop over time. I’ve just finished the Dogbone Fillet tool at the suggestion of Brock Brandenburg, and I was stunned at his suggestion that the behavior of the Finger tool could be included in the Fillet and Chamfer tools, because he always had trouble picking the two objects precisely and often missed the picks.

Well no she-ut! Color me stupid. I can’t believe I missed such an obvious thing. So now we have finger technology with the Dogbone Fillet, Fillet, 3D Fillet, Chamfer and 3D Chamfer Tools, where you just strike a finger line across two lines.

I’m now working on the Emoji tool, and only time will tell if it’s a good idea or a goofy one. We will see, but I’m betting that many of you will find a use for it.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:36 pm

I like Brock's suggestion!

I just had specific use for the tool. I used the fence tool for rectangular function like this.

Specifically: I used to cut wall lines all the time with the WT doors and windows tools. Then I tried using the "cover up" Method. My main problem with the latter is that I have to send dwg drawings to consultants and the drawings don't look right. I looked for a quick way to rework the drawing.

At one time (long ago) it was possible to create a "plot" file. It would make a line-work file, only of what is "seen", that is a white rectangle with no stroke would not show and the edges would be gone in the new file, and anything it covered would be removed from the linework. you could open a "plot" file in PowerCADD afterwood and it would be clipped to simple line drawing. It seemed such a basic utility then, but it's gone now. I could use something like this when making dwg files for others.
pbacot
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion