DWG Translation issues

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

DWG Translation issues

Postby phansford » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am

I am working with a civil engineer/surveyor on a couple of projects. They are sending me DWG files saved as ACAD 2007 and ACAD 2010. I can not open neither of them. The translation starts.... gets about 1/4 of the way, then the spinning ball of death and PCAD stops responding.

Any suggestions as to what might be the issue.... I am assuming that there is something in their original ACAD file that is not translatable.

Thanks in advance.

27" iMac (Retina 5K, Late 2015)
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
OX 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
PCADD 9.1.4 (Build PB22)
phansford
millennium club

Re: DWG Translation issues

Postby patrickm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:38 pm

You might try using DraftSight, a free downloadable CADD program, to save them as some other format (DXF?) and see if you can import that new file. (I occasionally use DraftSight to save more recent DWG files to an older version that PC can open.)
patrickm

Postby jcarcht » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 pm

One of the benefits of a program like Draftsight is that one can determine if a DWG file is corrupted, and that might be the cause of your problems with translation. If Draftsight cannot open a DWG, then certainly PowerCadd won't be able to either.

I also notice you have 9.1.4. The latest PowerCadd is 9.1.6. Your iMac should be able to handle the update without a hitch. I, too, run El Capitan- still.... on my mid 2011 iMac.
jcarcht

Postby MLSherrod » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

I believe you need DWG version 2000 or earlier.
MLSherrod

Return to PowerCADD Discussion