PowerCADD 9.1.5 Now Available

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

PowerCADD 9.1.5 Now Available

Postby Alfred Scott » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Due to the number of issues Apple introduced in the legacy system for MacOS 10.12 Sierra, we have decided to release a maintenance version which restores system compatibility with Sierra.

Sierra issues have recently overwhelmed users and our technical support so we are releasing this maintenance patch in order to reduce the technical support load on everyone.

Please go to http://www.engsw.com, and click on the link for PowerCADD 9.1.5 right in the center of the home page.

Issues resolved are:

* Restore mouse-drag-reorder capability in the Layer window.

* Enabled legacy PowerCADD 4 translators, however please save all files in the current PowerCADD 9 format to retain access to these files.

* Removed use of legacy GetKeys and KeyMap which have become unreliable on some systems and result in loss of WildTools Zoomer and other capabilities.

* Force batch printing off when PowerCADD starts. Several users report crashes while printing, which left batch printing on. This suppresses the AskPrint dialog.

* Display print dialogs in freestanding mode to work around an error in legacy printing system where the sheet remained attached to the window.

* Properly open double-clicked files on starting PowerCADD.

* Added menu to explicitly reset installation codes to save on technical support.

* Additional logging added for registration issues.

* Fixed crash with Advanced Text editing window.

* Enabled legacy translators.

* Code-sign PowerCADD with new certifications.

Please note that this is a patch to address burdensome technical support issues for everyone. We are working on many dramatic new capabilities in PowerCADD and WildTools, so stay tuned.

Alfred
Last edited by Alfred Scott on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: PowerCADD 9.1.5 Now Available

Postby Paul H » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you folks, this resolves one of the few irritants. Double clicking now opens an existing file, and the printing window no longer remains on screen when closing.
PowerCad and Wildtools remain terrific applications.

PH
Paul H

Postby robmunach » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Funny, I am using 9.1.3 and have no issues yet on a 2011 iMac clean Sierra install
robmunach

Postby patrickm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 am

I'm still on El Capitan 10.11.6, but the update seems to be working well for me. Thanks, Alfred and the ES team! Now, I guess I can finally switch to Sierra.
patrickm

Postby jcarcht » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 pm

So i go to my directory and I double-click an document prepared with PowerCadd. I still can't open the application and the document this way. PowerCadd is the only application that does not allow me to do this. This step backward occurred with 9.1.4.
jcarcht

Postby cadm0nkey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Forcing upgrade? The only way to dismiss the update notification window is to initiate the update. The only way to get around this is to disconnect from the internet. (update: this is only on some of the computers in our office).
Last edited by cadm0nkey on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
cadm0nkey

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:48 am

Minor issue:
I'm finding that PowerCADD will launch when I double click on a file but instead of the file opening I'm presented with the list of my stationery files. So it's starting with a "New file" command.

And if I hold down the Option key when I double click on a file, PowerCADD starts and the file opens correctly but a second file opens with PowerCADD's default stationery file.

Minor issue:
The Layer Window needs a shot of iron as it hasn't got any magnetism...

Everything else I've used so far is working fine.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.3
Derek

Postby jcarcht » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:23 am

Derek, thanks for the hint.

MY PowerCadd exhibits identical behavior when I "option-double-click" on a document. :twisted:
jcarcht

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm

To make the case for updating a bit stronger, the table below is what our crash reporting software indicates about crashes during the last 30 days.

PowerCADD 6 0.48%
PowerCADD 7 0.90%
PowerCADD 9 0.42%
PowerCADD 9.0.2 0.03%
PowerCADD 9.0.3 0.67%
PowerCADD 9.0.4 2.46%
PowerCADD 9.0.5 0.16%
PowerCADD 9.0.6 1.47%
PowerCADD 9.0.8 0.16%
PowerCADD 9.0.9 0.58%
PowerCADD 9.1.0 1.12%
PowerCADD 9.1.1 5.86%
PowerCADD 9.1.2 0.45%
PowerCADD 9.1.3 56.93%
PowerCADD 9.1.4 28.32%

There are far more copies of PowerCADD 9.1.4 running than there are of 9.1.3 yet 9.1.3 accounts for nearly 57 percent of all crashes.  That number makes a good case for everyone updating from 9.1.3.  

PowerCADD 9.1.4 is dramatically faster and more reliable. Many long-standing problems were resolved, such as reference files. Large files with bitmaps now save in a second or two while previously it might have taken nine seconds. The associated WildTools version has similar improvements, with the Analyze Topo command 6.5 times faster.

In addition, PowerCADD 9.1.4 and above allows international users to get rid of their hated dongle which was also a source of crashes.

If you get an update notice from 9.1.3, PowerCADD is trying to connect to an update server which has been offline for about three years.  There is no password or user name possible because the server simply isn’t there.  You should update manually as that is the only way to update.

For 9.1.3 users who do not wish to update (we STRONGLY discourage staying on 9.1.3), you can dismiss the “An update is available for PowerCADD” dialog by pressing the escape key, which is equivalent to clicking the “Cancel” button that is erroneously obscured by the update button.

Also cadmOnkey, you are seeing a bug in 9.1.3 with the update notice. The dialog can be dismissed by pressing the escape key.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby jcarcht » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 am

Time for 9.15 Build QC13. This allows opening the application by double-clicking on the PowerCadd document. About time this was fixed. PowerCadd now functions normally.
jcarcht

Postby robmunach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Anyone having any issues with it taking a long time to turn layers on and off under 9.1.5?
FWIW, I have not notoced any speed increases in 9.1.5 over 9.1.3
robmunach

Postby robmunach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Anyone having any issues with it taking a long time to turn layers on and off under 9.1.5?
FWIW, I have not notoced any speed increases in 9.1.5 over 9.1.3
robmunach

Postby Paul H » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Turning layers on and off is not taking a long time here. Sierra and new PowerCADD 9.1.5, Build QC15 + WT running without a hiccup. No complaints on my end.
Paul H

Postby robmunach » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

This morning I was working on a drawing and it literally took 30 sec. for the layer to appear. I noticed, howver, if I zoomed in or did anything else to change the view, it would cause it to appear instantly. Dunno what is up...
robmunach

Postby patrickm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm

I haven't generally experienced a long wait for layers to show up.

However, I did just open a file with a large "placed" image on a layer, and it did take a while to show up, but if I "forced redraw" (command 0, I think, I do it so automatically that I can't remember the actual keystrokes), it showed up immediately. This might be related to the relatively old age of my Mac Book Pro, which is from 2011 I think.

Also, I just got an "update" notice to download Build QC15. I was running Build QC06, I think, which I downloaded a couple of weeks ago.
patrickm

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion