Bill Stanley

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Bill Stanley

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:02 pm

W. L. “Bill” Stanley, Jr. of Greensboro, NC died at age 75 on July 5, 2016. From 1982 to 2013, Bill was president of Engineered Software which develops PowerCADD, a Macintosh-based CAD program sold all over the world.

Engineered Software is a small family business started by Bill and Susan Stanley along with their son Todd. Todd began work on the original PowerDraw program in 1982, a few years before the introduction of the Apple Macintosh computers. PowerDraw was released in 1987. Now known as PowerCADD, it has been improved and revised many times. In 2013 Bill and Susan turned the company over to Todd, who has continued to update and advance the software.

Bill was intimately involved in the fundamental development of the program and in laying down the framework and intuitive operation of the software which has few, if any, equals. The program is very complete and powerful, very fast and with an ease-of-use unmatched by any other program.

By spearheading the creation of PowerCADD, Bill has been a major influence on the professional lives of architects, engineers, and designers all over the world. With the transition of software development to Todd, he has assured the continuation of the program for another 30 years.

And in the creation of a PowerCADD milieu, he unleashed into the world something like a bar fight that spilled out into the street. With rivalries, troublemakers, love-hate relationships, idiosyncrasies, clashes of highly talented people, disruptives and eccentrics. Three family members under one roof in a small business. Opinionated and strong-willed programmers. All driven by a passion for the program he created. Not one with a complete grip on his own sanity. All hallmarks of what happens in the creation of something great.

Today the program has a passionate following of loyal users that is rare in the fast-moving world of software development. Users produce drawings that are like nothing else in the industry, and the passionate following continues to advance the software in ways that astonish even the creative people working on it.

Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 9, 2016 at Forbis and Dick Guilford Chapel, 5926 W. Friendly Avenue, Greensboro, NC 27410. The family will receive friends from 12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. prior to the service at the chapel.

Please send any notes or letters to Mrs. W. L. Stanley, Jr, 1215 Pleasant Ridge Road, Greensboro, NC 27409 or emails to susan@engsw.com

http://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/st ... e04f7.html

http://www.forbisanddick.com/obituaries/W-L-Stanley/
Attachments
WLStanley.png
WLStanley.png (111.84 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: Bill Stanley

Postby Howard » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm

I met Bill Stanley in the mid 1980's when he came to the School of Design at NC State University in Raleigh to demonstrate PowerDraw. As design students we were quite excited by his demonstration of the capabilities and ease of use of his revolutionary program. Now that Bill has passed on, PowerCADD lives on as Bill's living legacy- even among those who never met him.
Howard

Postby phansford » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:51 am

My condolences to the Stanley family.
phansford
millennium club

Postby fred johnson » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:06 pm

My sincere condolences to the Stanley family for their loss. Bill's comments have been missed here for some time but his interest and dedication to PowerCADD has never been and cannot be questioned. May you Rest In Peace Bill.
fred johnson

Postby BaughbLabs » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm

RIP Bill and thank you for all your help over the years.
BaughbLabs

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Thank you Bill - we love PowerCadd!
lavardera

Postby patrickm » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:15 pm

I just returned from vacation and was saddened to read this news. My condolences to Bill's family.

patrick
patrickm

Postby pbacot » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:47 am

My condolences to the Stanley family and all PowerCADD family past and present who worked with Bill, and shared in his life's work. A huge benefit in many of our lives. Thank you to all of you, and thank you Bill.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby jcarcht » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm sorry this is so late. But as I sought information on the latest release of PowerCadd, I got this sorrowful news.

Bill Stanley will be sorely missed. He and his family helped develop one of the most powerful, profound programs to run on the Apple Mac platform. To this day, I do much of my work using PowerCadd.

Despite the existence of some new CAD-BIM programs which claim (and don't often deliver) on their promises, PowerCadd delivers a program that has numerous features and capabilities, yet is easy to use.

Bill Stanley indeed, in my opinion, made a significant mark on the Apple Mac World. It is hoped that his family will continue this tradition. These are indeed big shoes to fill.

We in the Mac CAD world will sorely miss you, Bill! :(
jcarcht

Postby Steve Woolf » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Just getting back to the forum after several months. I met Bill Stanley in the early nineties when I signed up for a life-changing, and apparently life-long, relationship -- I bought a copy of PowerDraw and have been loyal to it ever since. It's been a privilege to know Bill and I thank his family and Alfred for your extraordinary grit and talent, and commitment to the continued realization of Bill Stanley's vision.
Steve Woolf

Return to PowerCADD Discussion