PowerCADD 9.1.4 v5 and WildTools 10.1.3 v5 Available Now

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

PowerCADD 9.1.4 v5 and WildTools 10.1.3 v5 Available Now

Postby Alfred Scott » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:13 pm

You should be getting a notice direct in PowerCADD that PowerCADD 9.1.4 v5 is available but Gatekeeper might prevent this, so you can just go direct to

http://www.engsw.com/powercadd-9-1-4-update/

This also includes WildTools 10.1.3 v5. From now on, we're keeping the 'v' numbers for both PowerCADD and WildTools the same.

The crash in editing advanced text is now fixed.

Many changes to cursors in WildTools, with a new target cursor, and high resolution cursors for retina screens. These are crisper, but not as much as we had hoped for.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: PowerCADD 9.1.4 v5 and WildTools 10.1.3 v5 Available Now

Postby patrickm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:01 pm

This update does seem to solve my Advanced Text editing issue. Thanks to you and ES for your responsiveness.
patrickm

Postby Eugene Silva » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Alfred,
Seems to be a glitch in the Linear Repeat Tool. The edit box does not open when I hold down the option key and select the tool... Might I be doing something wrong?
I anyone else facing this problem?
Eugene
Eugene Silva

Postby jcarcht » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:40 pm

I downloaded and activated PC 9.1.4 v5 Expert.

I noted some serious problems which I have also relayed to Support@engsw.com

I await their remedies.

Look to having to download a v6, folks! :twisted:
jcarcht

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:42 am

There were thousands of changes in WildTools that make no difference in the functioning but which fix the biggest source of crashes that come in on the crash logs. There were some minor things that slipped by, all easily fixed, but which caused sample views in dialogs not to draw anything, and in one case where the Linear Repeat tool dialog did not come up.

These are all fixed, and you can just download the update again, which you can always do because we put the most recent builds in the update. Just this morning I got one more report of a dialog sample view that doesn't draw.

Most recent build puts the deleted Trim with Object tool back at the bottom of the NewTools palette. I wanted to thin out the WildTools palette to take out marginal tools. The tool now trims lines only, and the Erase Inside and Erase Outside tools in PixelTools are much better implementations of trimming bitmaps.

There is a change in WildTools which you can't see but which is HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. For the past ten years or so, we have been operating under a cloud of obsolescence because PowerCADD and WildTools have had to be compiled with the 10.6 Snow Leopard SDK. It's been a race against time to keep running with the current OS and this has put PowerCADD and WildTools at risk of not running when Apple makes a change in something. PowerCADD has been compiled with the current SDK, and as of this week, WildTools is as well.

Bottom line is that we are no longer at risk. Our present and future is completely safe. Everyone should be cheering about this.

And to give you an idea of how subtle things can be, the Edit Advanced Text window would crash when you closed it. This was a case where programming that had been in PowerCADD forever started to crash under the latest El Capitan. The error in PowerCADD was roughly the equivalent of saying goodnight to your hostess at a party twice.

This all results in more frequent updates, which is a pain I know, but a heck of a lot better than no updates or the software not being maintained or advanced.

And always little things going on in WildTools. Take a peek at the Points Along dialog for a couple of minor things some users have asked for.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Kent » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:40 pm

I have found one small item since updating to version 5.
When I select several files and open them by double clicking, they do not open, but the open new file dialog box opens. This only occurs when this double click is used to launch Powercadd, if Powercadd is already open it works as it always has.

I will download the latest copy of the expert in the next couple of days and see if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks for all the great new tools and updates.
Kent

Postby jcarcht » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 am

Far as I know, still no fix for the problem in which one is forced to open an existing file from the "New Document" dialog box which opens after one double-clicks on a drawing icon in the Finder.

This is a major step in the wrong direction!
Every past issue of PowerCadd allowed one to open documents directly from the finder.
Even in the case of documents created with earlier versions of PowerCadd, one would only have to put up with the process of a document automatically updating to the latest version.

What next from Engineered Software? T-squares and drafting pens?
jcarcht

Postby patrickm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm

I have the same issue (with a double click on a document opening PC, but not the actual document), but I assume this is a glitch and not a feature, and I have confidence it will be rectified in a future release.
patrickm

Postby Alfred Scott » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:26 am

There's a revolution going on in WildTools at this time. Like most such things, it starts with a minor irritation, then it builds as people get involved, and before you know it, you have a tiger by the tail.

It has do with tool icons. I'll leave a full discussion for later in the release notes, but anyone is welcome to participate. Just go to WildTools Updates in the Help menu, and update from there, where there is no mention on the changes at this time.

Biggest changes are in Dimensioning tools, Style Tools and Favorite Lines tools. These will be obvious to you and will make more sense out of some things in WildTools that have been a source of confusion.

Download as often as you like. It changes every other day or so, and always on Friday afternoon. These are always my latest builds of WildTools and include fixes for all reported bugs.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion