Can't open legacy PowerCADD files!

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Can't open legacy PowerCADD files!

Postby AudiA4 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm fully up-to-date with the latest MacOS and PowerCADD updates, and I cannot get PowerCADD to open any legacy PowerCADD files! This is true on both my computer setups (work and home).

It doesn't work whether I try and launch the file from the Finder (where it used to warn me about having to save a Version 9 copy), or from within the PowerCADD Open Dialog either one.

Is anyone else experiencing this bug?
AudiA4

Re: Can't open legacy PowerCADD files!

Postby AudiA4 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 pm

p.s. It doesn't tell me or warn me that it won't open. It actually "animates" like it is opening the file, but a window never opens, and it doesn't show it as an open file under the "Window" menu.
AudiA4

Postby AudiA4 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:55 am

Is this not a problem for anyone else?
AudiA4

Postby Alfred Scott » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:32 pm

For a very long time, we've been telling everyone to get all drawings to PC9 format because Apple is phasing out programming tools to deal with older things.

I think if you read the PowerCADD release notes very carefully, there is still a way to turn on something to open some old files. Better move them all up if you can.

Or use an old version of PowerCADD to bring files up to PC9.

If all that fails, Brian Huculak offers a service for doing this for a fee at www.caddpower.com

In point of fact, we are in a race against time keeping up with things that are changing in the OS. Almost every week we have to deal with some new thing that has stopped working on some users' machines. This accounts for some of the things that don't work right. We're seeing snapping and Zoomer not working on some machines, and files not opening from the Finder, etc.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby AudiA4 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Alfred,

Thanks for the reply. Even though I should have read the fine print, clearly updating older files should have crossed my mind as good practice anyway.

One of my colleagues directed me to another forum (caddpower.com) that pointed out that as of version 9.1.4, PowerCADD does not contain translators for PowerDraw (.PD6) and PowerCADD 4(.PC4, .LIB) files. This is my issue, and I wish I had realized that before upgrading. It does appear to natively open any PC 2000 or newer file without issue.

Apparently, you can force PC 9.1.4 to "load" some type of legacy translator by holding down the Option key upon startup. Though it will open these files (whereas I was not able to with the recent update), it completely drops formatting. Line weights, layer names, layer setups, colors and even sheet size is all missing; it's like opening a really bad *.dxf file from Autocad.

Thanks for your feedback!
AudiA4

Postby robmunach » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 am

I just got a copy of Snow Leopard Server running on Parallels. That will allow me to continue to run occasional legacy software for the foreseeable future. I can load up old copies of Powercadd 8 or 6 (I think).

I actually set it up because it is inevitable that Sheepshaver (an emulator to run System 9 and earlier software) may not run past El Capitan. There is still two pre-OSX programs that I use on a regular basis. So I have an OS9 emulator running under Snow Leopard running under virtualization (Parallels) running under Mountain Lion.
robmunach

Postby robmunach » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 am

I just got a copy of Snow Leopard Server running on Parallels. That will allow me to continue to run occasional legacy software for the foreseeable future. I can load up old copies of Powercadd 8 or 6 (I think).

I actually set it up because it is inevitable that Sheepshaver (an emulator to run System 9 and earlier software) may not run past El Capitan. There is still two pre-OSX programs that I use on a regular basis. So I have an OS9 emulator running under Snow Leopard running under virtualization (Parallels) running under Mountain Lion.
robmunach

Postby AudiA4 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 am

Great scott robmunach! What could you possibly still be running from OS9?!
AudiA4

Postby robmunach » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:45 pm

A program for analyzing beams and 2D frames (still better than anything written today) and a retaining wall program.
Believe it or not, I still have to break out Claris CAD occasionally to open old files.
(I am a structural engineer)
robmunach

Postby jcarcht » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm having the legacy file problem as well. I've resorted to using an older version of PC9 running on my laptop, which runs Snow Leopard (because it's a 32-bit machine) to open these older files then save them in PC9. Then reload them into my main computer.
jcarcht

Postby Frank Bell » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:01 pm

I spoke with Bill Stanley a few years back when the change over was taking place and he and I both agreed it was always a good idea to keep an older machine running PC 7 or 8 for this type of issue. My suggestion is to pick up an older mac laptop or desktop (you can get them from a few resellers very cheaply or even Craigslist). I kept my trusty 2006 24" Imac. It's still running! :D
Frank Bell

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 pm

I am in process of updating 25years of PowerDraw/PowerCadd files to PC9 format. I'm in Yosemite, and thought I should do this before moving to El Capitan. Is this right? Or can I upgrade and continue to open and convert?
lavardera

Postby phansford » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:13 am

I have been able to open PC 8 files in PC 9.1.4 (El Capitan). Anything older I have had to open on a legacy machine that is running PC 8.
phansford
millennium club

Postby lavardera » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Got it, thanks.

I'm thinking its going to be easier, more mindless to just go through everything, open and save.

Its impressive that this is the first time since using PowerDraw/PowerCadd that I've ever had to do this.
lavardera

Postby patrickm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

I am running PC9.1.4 under OS10.11.6. My older PC file icons appear generic, and when I click on them I get a prompt asking me to select what program to open them with. When I select PC9, the files open. I can also drag old files to the PC icon in the dock and they open. Today, this has worked with files from PC2000, PC6, and PC8. I guess I'll need to keep a legacy machine to convert files from prior to 2000.
patrickm

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion