WildTools Tool Icons

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

WildTools Tool Icons

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 am

I want to let you all know about something I'm working on so that you can be thinking of what might be included and any ideas you might want to throw in my direction.

The tool icons in PowerCADD use a bitmap for the image. As such, they are limited to 72-dpi images. We might all be used to them, but they would be much better looking if they were antialiased so you don't have all that stair-stepping.

I now have a way of drawing the icon images with the same high resolution vector graphics that are used in a PowerCADD drawing and which I've also been incorporating in many of the segmented controls in the dialogs. This means we can have incredibly crisp and detailed images on retina displays. Good examples of what is possible is with the segmented controls in the Nuts & Bolts palette where you can see the threads on screws and bolts.

The first things I will be working on are icons for lines, rectangles, arcs, circles, etc.

In addition to creating a crisper display, I also want to look at creating some indicators for the tools that will change with the settings for the tools. For example, I have trouble remembering if I have the dimensioning tools are set to 2 or 3 decimal places, so for starters I want to experiment with adding little dots or crosses to show this, and of course we can show the color coding for imperial or metric dimensions.

For the Line tool, we might want to have a slight variation so you can see if it's set to constrained or unconstrained angles.

There is a risk that a change in the appearance might make it difficult to readily recognize the tool, so these variations should probably be subtle.

So everyone please put your thinking caps on and think of what might included.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion