OT: Dreamweaver

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

OT: Dreamweaver

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 pm

There are bound to be a few Dreamweaver experts around here.

I have the Adobe CS6 suite that includes Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, and Dreamweaver, all of which I use but I don't use any of the rest of the programs -- now why would I, of all people, want to use Illustrator?!

Since moving to Mavericks, I can no longer drag an image file (such as jpg) from the Finder into a web page. I can use Insert Image, and that works, but not the drag-and-drop method that I've used for years with websites.

Anyone got any ideas?

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Re: OT: Dreamweaver

Postby jcarcht » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Alfred, I'll just say this- I'm feeling your pain.

I just found out that Adobe no longer supports Golive, so I am SOL when it comes to updating my website.

So what is a poor architect to do, who was first trained in Pagemill, and struggled with Golive all these years?

Go to Dreamweaver? At what astronomical cost?

Currently I am exploring some alternatives out there. I'd be happy to share this with anyone out there who is facing the same dilemma.
jcarcht

Postby patrickm » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm facing a similar dilemma, but with Apple's iWeb (or whatever it was called). It fell of the wagon when Intel machines came out and I haven't updated my website since. It's too hard to stay on top of all this stuff, coupled with code changes and actually trying to do some building designing in my free time.
patrickm

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Steve Mouzon went through this and ended up with Sandvox, which he raves about. You might take a look at it.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby erikmar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 am

Freeway is positioned somewhere between DW and iWeb and may be worth a look.
Illustrator is great for picking apart vector based pdf files (e.g. from product manufacturers), then exporting to .dwg, then opening in PC. So far as I can tell, PC can't do anything with pdfs except for crop them.
erikmar

Postby David Scott » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Erik,

Place your PDF into PowerCADD. Select it and then use PDF To Objects… from the Tool menu.

David
David Scott

Postby jcarcht » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Alfred Scott wrote:Steve Mouzon went through this and ended up with Sandvox, which he raves about. You might take a look at it.

Alfred

I am currently looking st s demo version of Sandvox. I visited a site which has numerous examples of sites developed by Steve Mouzon. They look impressive. I'm going to give this demo a real try.

I'll let you know how it all works out.
jcarcht

Postby Damon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm

I did my site with iWeb, and I really like it. I admit it is limited in terms of fancier capablilites, but to me, doing code seems like going back to MSdos and the C\ prompt.

For those, like me, who really want iWeb ease, it seems that EverWeb is our closest alternative. It is so close it looks as though Rage software bought iWeb. Everweb is missing some features, such as image cropping, but it may also have some other things that are developments on iWeb.

Crucially for me, it allows you to start with a blank page, something that Sandvox doesn't allow. I never found any of their templates to work for me.
Damon

Postby jcarcht » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Damon wrote:For those, like me, who really want iWeb ease, it seems that EverWeb is our closest alternative. ..Everweb is missing some features, such as image cropping, but it may also have some other things that are developments on iWeb.

Crucially for me, it allows you to start with a blank page, something that Sandvox doesn't allow. I never found any of their templates to work for me.

That it allows development from scratch is a plus.
That it does not allow image cropping might be a demerit. Does it at least allow image resizing?

I just downloaded a trial version and I'll soon find out.
jcarcht

Postby Charles Freeborn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:48 pm

I too used to use Dreamweaver, but did not keep up with the updates, etc. Switched to iWeb, but as said, it looks like Apple is letting it enter a death spiral ( recent updates do not include it) I've heard the same good things about Sandvox, Freeway and also Rapid Weaver. Will be interested to hear how this all goes.... seriously need to update mine too...
Charles Freeborn

Postby jcarcht » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Everweb looks very interesting. As I have a web host, the $80 price tag works for me. Although I can't crop photos, I can resize them. That would work for me. The simple drag-and-drop interface is compelling as I don't have good web authoring HTML coding experience.

Sandvox restricted me to the formatting of its templates. For that reason, I gave up on it. Even the clean sheet imposed restrictions I could not live with.
jcarcht

Postby Damon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm

jcarcht,

Everweb really looks as though they bough iWeb, and I liked iWeb a lot. So having a current and maintained program is good. The crop feature is a disappointing omission, and I hope they can work it in.

I'm also hosted eleswhere so the basic purchase is fine for me.

I also never found the Sandvox templates to work for me, so a clean, empty page is critical. The image and object aligning system in iWeb/ Everweb is also really cool (might even be a good idea for a cad program, hmm?)
Damon

Postby jcarcht » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm

I am currenttly redesigning my website using Everweb.

It is so amazing what I can do with each page. Everything seems so easy, when compared to GoLive Studio. I csn color the page bsckground, which I find to be really cool.

I bought Everweb. Worth every penny. I recommend it.
jcarcht

Postby Damon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:09 pm

jcarcht,

Very cool. Be nice to chat/ email etc about the ideas and functions of Everweb. I'm likely going to get it as well, and its always good to have contacts with other users of whatever software we're wrestling with.
Damon

Postby jcarcht » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Well,after many weeks of being a part-time website author, thanks to Everweb, my new site is finally up.
As a tip, you can publish your Everweb site to a private folder, then using Fetch or other similar FTP uploader,, upload it to a web-host of your choice. When I contacted Rage Software, they claim that they will have a built-in uploader that will allow you to upload a site to your web host, rather than having to set up an account with Rage Software's web hosting service. For those interested, their web hosting service seems like a good deal and might be worth considering.
jcarcht

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion