OT: 27" iMac Mid-2011. Video Card failures

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

OT: 27" iMac Mid-2011. Video Card failures

Postby phansford » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 am

As if there aren't enough issues with PC updates and Maverick :lol:

My screen just goes black as if the computer has gone to sleep. I have to press the power button and the screen will come back.

So.... if you are having the same issue. Don't expect to find the solution on the Apple Support forums........ its not a fan control issue. Or resetting the SMP. Or a PRAM issue. Its the video card.

"Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012."

Of course, I've had to go through the gauntlet of Apple Support and having my machine sit in the local resellers service department for a week before someone at Apple said.... yeah we have this issue with your vid card. :roll: (Been dealing with this for well over a month). And of course after Apple made me go through the whole (and failed) test user bit. :evil:

So just want to inform anyone that may be having this same issue - or could be experiencing it in the near future. Just jump to the Chase and demand your video card be replaced under the recall.
phansford
millennium club

Return to PowerCADD Discussion