New Version of WildTools

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

Re: New Version of WildTools

Postby pbacot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am

Alfred,

Congratulations on the comments. I am still trying to figure it out. I guess you can add this one: "Don't get it." but maybe it is just the way I work or different needs.

"Faster", for example losing the regularly occurring lag in WT operation, would be a breakthrough for me. It's always that computers and software are too slow.

But still willing to understand...

Peter
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Another OT link to an article on our website.

http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Dovydenas/ ... rkers.html

If you are afraid of heights, be prepared to freak out.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 am

For everyone using WildTools 10.1.1 with the new features, please download the current build of WildTools by clicking on the WildTools Downloads button in the WildTools Updater or go to the same place at

http://www.seqair.com/WildTools/Downloads/index.html

The Updater will tell you your WildTools is up to date, which simply means that we haven't yet changed the version number. Just download the latest and be happy.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 am

Alfred Scott wrote:For everyone using WildTools 10.1.1 with the new features, please download the current build of WildTools by clicking on the WildTools Downloads button in the WildTools Updater or go to the same place at

The Updater will tell you your WildTools is up to date, which simply means that we haven't yet changed the version number. Just download the latest and be happy.

Alfred

Thanks Alfred! Will it be possible to turn off the updater?

Peter
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I've just uploaded the latest build of WildTools, which includes the Dash Adjuster tool. I would appreciate any feedback you might have on this.

If any of you might be interested in an architecture-related project I've been working on, go to

http://www.rosegill.com/ProjectWinkie/index.html

and download Houses of Old Richmond on to your iPad or computer.

This is the architectural history of the city of Richmond, VA in the early days.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Thank you, Alfred! I wait too long. No sooner do I get the last version installed... :roll:

Good thing it's easy.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby ValmontR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Alfred,

The dash adjustor works great, but when the dashes are very small the adjustor goes off the top edge of the drawing.

Cheers,
ralph
ValmontR

Postby Alfred Scott » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Ralph,

The tool calculates the maximum and minimum dash lengths as scale factors up and down and then sets the lengths of the slider accordingly. That's what you are seeing here, and it's unlikely that you would want to increase the dash lengths from tiny to very long, but that option is available to you if you want to!

I've always held to the view that a tool should never argue with the user, so it's up to you to do sensible things.

The object cannot be in a group.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby ftribel » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm

The Dash ajuster will be a very good tool.
But always, it's difficult to make / have very short dashes. I work a lot at 1/200 and 1/500, and dashes are always too long.
ftribel

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm

There has been a screw-up with WildTools, and it’s all my fault. In my enthusiasm, we have included new tools and features that expired in the shipping copy of WildTools. For anyone who likes to use the new tools this is wonderful. But the vast majority of users want their software to be reliable and an expiration notice comes as an unpleasant surprise.

However the good news is that a lot of users got a look at the Trees & Shrubs tool palette, the WildTools Gradient Fill tool, People tool, and many other exciting new things in WildTools. So while I will mend my ways, I don’t feel very bad about any of this.

From now on, we will have two versions of WildTools available in the WildTools Downloads page.

The Development Version of WildTools includes new tools and features that expire, and you can turn these things on and off in the WildTools Updates window which you can find in the PowerCADD Help menu. Click on the New Tools & Features button. Turn the new tools on or off as you like, however please read the warning at the top of the dialog which explains that you are on your own and should not bother Engineered Software with questions or technical support issues. You are on your own here, and if you have a problem or question, these should come to me, Alfred Scott at alfred@seqair.com or (804) 353-1713. Do not call or bother anyone else.

The Shipping Version of WildTools is compiled at the same time and is identical to the version described above except that the new tools and features are never loaded and nothing expires. But other than that, the two versions are the same, and you will see many minor improvements in both versions.

Typically we let a new version be ‘out there’ for a couple of weeks before putting a new version into the distribution pipeline. We have a small group of highly active users who are on top of things and who use each new version of WildTools as it becomes available. We have had an occasional problem which they catch right away and which gets fixed right away.

Turn off all new features in the Development Version, and it’s the same as the Shipping Version. When the tools expire, the tools expire silently, and it converts itself to the shipping version.

An upcoming new paid upgrade will be available, and this will include all of theses new tools and features. The version is described in Les Misérables de WildTools which you can find on the WildTools Downloads page and in the WildTools Updates Window. I hope you enjoy reading the account of how these tools have been developed with collaboration with a wide range of people. Perhaps in the future you might have some suggestions for things that might be added to WildTools. I’d love to hear any ideas you may have and maybe you will will come up with something that will make it into the software.

If you haven’t read it, please take the time to read the WildTools Roadmap, which you can find on the WildTools web page and also in the WildTools Updates Window. I wrote WildTools because I draw, but I also like to use my brain and enjoy ‘climbing mountains’ that have not climbed before. But most importantly for me it’s a way to keep my mind active and for me that’s the key to a long, productive life. Collaboration is the key to all great work and innovation. I hope to be doing this when I’m 85, so keep the ideas coming.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 pm

GPX and KML import is now done.

Mark Rhodes has been after me for years to create tools for drawing screws in 3D. It's always seemed to me to be technically impossible or impossibly difficult, and my usual response has been "up yours!"

But I think I see how it can be done, so I'm going to create a Nuts & Bolts 3D tool palette. First step will be to move the 3D Rod and 3D Hex Rod tools from WildTools 3D, and these will be the foundation upon which these tools will be built.

If you're interested, these work on three principals, shearing which you should understand and two goofy inventions of mine in the programming known as a Disk and a Wobble Disk. In the Disk concept, I create the geometry in a circular pattern and then it is scaled in the Y direction and then rotated. When you are drawing in an out-of-plane mode, this is what is used for the ends of the rods. The Wobble Disk is used for free rotation.

So my plan is to have pairs of tools that are just different modes of the same tools, so there will be additional tools for screws, cap screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc. The tools will share the same settings and dialogs, but the 3D dialogs will not show options that will not be available in 3D.

I mention all this so you can be thinking of what else might be done in this tool palette. Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm

I've just uploaded new version of WildTools to the WildTools Downloads page.

GPX and KML importing is now in both Development and Shipping Versions.

I've reworked the Door and Window tool dialogs to simplify things. I'm working my way up to implementing Favorities. Lots of new buttons that should look better on retina displays.

We plan to have a new Golden Master of the Shipping version next week, so I would appreciate it if everyone will go right to work with this latest build. I don't think you're going to find any problems.

Alfred
Last edited by Alfred Scott on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Alfred,

Could you clarify the version for me? Sorry. I assume the "shipping" version is what someone would get if they bought WildTools today. Or is the version I bought way back-- 10.1.1--still available for download? Are you saying the development and shipping versions are pretty much the same at this point?

Many thanks for the work on translators. I may not have an immediate need for these but I know it adds value to the program. I noticed a newish KML translator for another application I use just the other day.

Peter
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:45 pm

I have just uploaded my current build of WildTools to the usual WildTools Downloads, which you can get to from WildTools Updates in the Help menu. Or go direct to

Nuts & Bolts 3D is now basically finished. I'm sure there is some fine-tuning still to be done, but I'm pretty happy with it. I've held off turning this loose on the world until it was highly polished software because when software is a work-in-process people tend to only talk about the flaws. So that's the reason for the quiet in the WildTools corner for the last couple of weeks. But as you can see, I've been very busy.

Everyone who has WildTools should download this now! That's EVERYONE including quiet people who never want to use new or untested software. There's nothing risky at all about this at all, and you will have to see Nuts & Bolts 3D with your own eyes, because you're not likely to believe that such at thing is even possible in a 2D program.

This type of software has never existed before, so I think we're making a bit of history here.

If anyone has a problem in WildTools, feel free to warn others, but I haven't had a bug report from a user in many months. Only suggestions.

I have started with high-resolution buttons for nuts in the dialogs. I hope these look great on retina displays.

Please remember: To turn on the new tools and features, go to WildTools Updates in the Help menu, then click on the New Tools & Features button you will see there. That's the drill we will be using from now on.

I will be out of my office until May 1. We are off to New Orleans for at trip up the Mississippi on the American Queen to Memphis. However I will have my iPhone and iPad so I can always be reached by email.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Matt_A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:59 am

Very nice work on the 3D Nuts and Bolts, Alfred. Amazing.
Matt_A

PreviousNext

Return to PowerCADD Discussion