Magazine Reactions to Apple’s iPad Unveiling...

Talk about architecture, building, and general media, marketing, and advertising. For both online and dead-tree publishing. Bring your examples, news, philosopy, challenges, Q&A. Readers, writers, editors, publishers, agencies all welcome.

Magazine Reactions to Apple’s iPad Unveiling...

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Publishing professionals in the Folio Magazine web are are discussing the iPad, following on from their article...

Reaction to Apple’s iPad Unveiling
by Jason Fell ... -unveiling

I put up some of my thoughts too...

I think the iPad is potentially a game changer simply because it will support more ambient, casual, and at the same time more focused reading of Web-based periodicals. More reading of magazines on a digital device in more places at more times is fundamentally significant to the medium moving forward.

The iPad should provide a viewing quality close to that of a good small notebook computer, both with more modality (focus) due to the tasking style of the OS, and without the social and physical interference of an attached keyboard and hinged-up screen.

I tend to doubt that specialized reading software will have a big impact overall. There's enough flexibility in web pages viewed in the Safari browser to provide a good solid magazine reading experience. (Looking and feeling like a paper thing is beside the point.) The effect of improving the reading experience that might be provided to a given periodical over simple browsing is not likely to be greater than than the overhead (and audience restriction) of requiring a specialized download.

If it sells a lot - and it feels like it will - then it will be a terrific added viewing port for what we've already got going online. A significant forward step in the gradual continuing process of leaving paper behind for periodicals.
Site Admin

Return to Publishing and Media Discussion