WANTED: Antique Drafting Table Parts Needed Desperately

Topical, modest, and appropriate messages from registered members who are SEEKING building products and product info are invited here. No "For Sale" postings here.

WANTED: Antique Drafting Table Parts Needed Desperately

Postby Kate Hamilton » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Hello,

I am a designer in a desperate situation. A couple of years ago I bought an antique drafting table on ebay, similar to this: Image

In preparation for my cross-country move from Philadelphia to the Colorado Rocky Mountains this year, the pieces of the table were sloppily dissasembled by my moving company. In the unpacking process, not knowing what the heck they were, my husband threw out the cast iron semi-circular "braces" from the table. When I went to reassemble my table, I was devastated to discover that the braces were long gone. I love my table. And without these braces, the table top is not stable. The wing nuts that connect the top and base just don't cut it. My husband has kindly offered to "rig up" something to make the table stable, but I'm not too keen on that idea.

So I am looking for a resource for antique drafting table parts. I have searched ebay and google but have only found whole drafting tables for sale. It cost me over $400 to purchase that table and have it shipped to me, and I would rather not have to replace the whole thing. Plus I have a strong emotional attachment to it.

If anyone knows anyone out there who might be able to help me, please email me at
kate (at) penguinart (dot) com
I deeply appreciate your help.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kate Hamilton

Drafting Table Parts

Postby sewatts » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:42 am

Dear Kate,

Have you considered having your drafting table parts fabricated, perhaps in cast iron, or perhaps in another material? It would not be exactly like the original, however the drafting table would become functional again and could be very beautiful.

Good luck to you. If I come across anything else, I will let you know.

Sincerely,
Sarah Watts
www.wattshotglass.com
sewatts

Postby sewatts » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:14 pm

Dear Kate,

This is exciting.....A man named Regis McKenna just emailed me: He believes that he has the parts that you need, but can't reach you. His email address is rfmckenna31@copper.net Good luck! I hope that this is the right thing for your beloved table! Here is what he wrote to me:

Dear Ms. Wattts,

I believe I have the cast iron parts that are needed desperately by the
lady designer, however, I got lost in the maze at the
Design Community site and could not contact the person. I have only done simple email, not any complicated hoop-jumping.

Since you were adept at contacting the person once before, perhaps you
would be kind enough to send her my email address or
even just the specs on what I have.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Regis McKenna
Columbus, Ohio

Two cast iron half-circle devices from a table I constructed many years
ago. The arcs are 12" wide overall and measure 7 3/4" deep.
The two mounting holes are 11" on center. The general thickness is 3/16"
and there is heavier outed edge that measures 3/8". the width of each
arcs is 1 1/16". Both are in excellect working condition.
sewatts

Return to Design and Building-Related Products Wanted