HGTV greenhome 2009

Discuss green building, sustainable design, planning, and construction, climate change mitigation and adaptation, ecologically sensitive and triple-bottom-line performance all across the built environment.

HGTV greenhome 2009

Postby csintexas » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Here is the plan for the new HGTV green home. I am having trouble thinking of anything good to say about it.

The only thing I can think of is that I am impressed by how they managed to turn a fairly small house into a McMansion

Even more amazing is that HGTV fans seem to like it:
http://blog.hgtv.com/greenhome/2008/11/ ... /#comments

(wait... now that I think about it, that doesn't surprise me)
csintexas
millennium club

Postby djswan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:11 am

The McRoof is the sure giveaway.

djswan
millennium club

Postby lekizz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Evidently it will only work in certain climates. I suppose the angled wings could be designed to create a suntrap for the front decking, while the overhanging eaves, porch and surrounding palm trees could provide shade. The 'tower' in the middle I presume is to create a vaulted space in the middle of the house to draw up the warm air. Probably those are blockwork walls to create thermal mass for coolth.

The shower room seems to have its own natural ventilation system i.e. open a door and stride naked onto the verandah!!

It is a bit bizarre, to say the least, that the plan seems to lack any windows!!
lekizz
millennium club

Postby csintexas » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 pm

The angle is OK by me, I don't like the birthday cake effect on the roof or the exaggerated height. It looks like they added some windows when they did the rendering.

I think this is going up in Florida so good chance they will use block or ICF walls. I don't like traditional natural ventilation schemes in a world of AC where generally all they do is cause higher energy consumption.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby shuva chowdhury » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:54 am

the angle is also ok by me. but i have some objection on putting orientation of functions. i really oppose that location of master bed. it should be more private. and the inner outer relationships are poor. in a word the beauty of spaces are missing. and with overall look you can come out from that conventional look.i rather suggest to look the pitched roof of correa,s gandi asharam. may be u can find lot more idea.
shuva chowdhury

Return to Green Building & Climate Forum