Getting a green Education

Discuss green building, sustainable design, planning, and construction, climate change mitigation and adaptation, ecologically sensitive and triple-bottom-line performance all across the built environment.

Getting a green Education

Postby completeNoob » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi,

So, I'm an entrepreneur interested in getting into the "green" building movement. Specifically, I'd like to be a part of developing emergency response shelters utilizing renewable and locally available materials.

My bachelours degree is in Chemical Engineering so this is going to be a complete change in direction for me, but I feel like it's the path I should take.

Could anyone clue me in on Universities (anywhere in the world) that have programs that specialize in green building?

Does anyone know of programs that specialize in alternative materials research? aka strawbale, adobe, packed earth, things like that?

Also, I don't know enough about either field, but could someone please advise as to the difference between Structural Engineering and Architecture?

I've been told, if I want to make it pretty to go for Architecture. If I want to make it stay standing go for engineering, but that seems like a gross over simplification. Isn't there a high degree of cross over?

I look forward to some interesting and hopefully educational input.

Thanks gang.

CN
completeNoob

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 pm

how do you eat?
Antisthenes

Postby starkca3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:45 pm

what do you mean how does he eat?
starkca3

green buildings and sustainability

Postby plieng » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 pm

:D ,guy! you are strongly encouraged to do it!
also, i am an environmental engineer in china, but what attracts me most is green building and sustainability. so i have learned some about it, and intend to be engaged in this area.
i hope that we can communicate with each other.
plieng

Postby lekizz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:39 am

@ completenoob - have a look at www.architectureforhumanity.org - they seem to be working in your prefered field.

As for college courses in 'green' building, I've only come across these as postgraduate and Masters courses. Not knowing where you are from, it would be hard for anyone to give specific advice.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby Antisthenes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 pm

i mean do you eat green.

the best way is to understand better the reason not to use the typical stuff because of the harms
Antisthenes

Postby XIONG1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:16 am

Ditto here~!
I support your point of view 。
XIONG1

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm

a holistic approach to life and the dwellings we inhabit
Antisthenes

Postby completeNoob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 am

Lekizz,

I'm very flexible geographically, and am willing to travel internationally if necessary to get on board with a strong program. Could you please make some recommendations?

Also, does no one have an opinion on the difference between structural engineering and architecture?

Thanks

CompleteNoob
completeNoob

Postby csintexas » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:46 am

I don't know of any programs that specialize in green building. I think the concept has gained significant acceptance in many programs though.

Well I guess if I had the money and ability to travel I would attend individual workshops and efforts.

http://www.arcosanti.org/

http://www.earthship.net/

http://www.solarliving.org/default.asp

etc.

I think lekizz has a good idea that anyone can work within www.architectureforhumanity.org The kind of work you are describing takes individual initiative more than a specialized education.

And then just get your piece of paper where ever it is convenient and do your internship with a company who specializes in green. Engineers generally don't conceive green projects they execute them but occasionally they do both.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby archgrl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 pm

I went to VA Tech and I was surprised to see that it had a very green program. (I hadn't thought much about sustainability when looking for a college.)

My favorite class was Environmental Building Systems, which taught about LEED before it was well known.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture. It's a 5 year program, which means you don't have to go to grad school before getting licensed. I hear the Engineering school is great, but I don't know much about it. I always wanted to be an architect, since I'm a designer at heart. It's my belief that we hire structural engineers to design the best way a building stands up, but they don't typically influence how a building looks from the outside.

It seems to me structural engineers would design bridges, which would be really cool, but i'm not sure how green building would be incorporated into that.

Did you know buildings use 33% of U.S. energy consumption? I'm trying to slowly bring that number down. Right now I'm studying to be LEED accredited, which probably isn't the eventual solution, but it's a good first step.
archgrl

Postby Antisthenes » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 pm

again i would advocate start with what you consume in your human body(hopefully green) and how that relates to excess and unhealthy building practices.
Antisthenes

green walls

Postby sabe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:23 am

how about exploring special designed vertical greening panels ...any good suggestion
sabe

....Just For Your Info.....

Postby Marc072288 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:34 am

Related concepts of Green building

A similar concept is natural building, which is usually on a smaller scale and tends to focus on the use of natural materials that are available locally. Other commonly used terms include sustainable design and green architecture.

The related concepts of sustainable development and sustainability are integral to green building. Effective green building can lead to reduced operating costs by increasing productivity and using less energy and water, improved public and occupant health due to improved indoor air quality, and reduced environmental impacts by, for example, lessening storm water runoff and the heat island effect. Practitioners of green building often seek to achieve not only ecological but aesthetic harmony between a structure and its surrounding natural and built environment, although the appearance and style of sustainable buildings is not necessarily distinguishable from their less sustainable
counterparts.

URL: Residential landscaping Sydney
Marc072288

Return to Green Building & Climate Forum