Use of tubing as a construction medium

For discussion of structural innovations ranging from 3D Honeycomb to genomic and self-generating formal systems. All welcome.

Use of tubing as a construction medium

Postby Guy Croft » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:28 am

I have invented a novel and simple robust end-joint fastener for metal tube, no glueing, welding, thru drilling etc. It can also fix plate to timber without adhesive, thur drilling or screwing. This post is not a marketing plug, it is arequest for design collaboration from an industry professional.

My fastener (XPC Fastener) is Patent pending under European PCT and can fix a thread into tube end or attach tube (eg stainless or alloy) discretely and very strongly to plate or node joints to create fully braced geodetic structures and permit fixing of tube for sway bracing, barriers and balustrades.

Using XPC I have developed an end-joint method for bamboo, nature's tube, an important building material in Asia and the Pacific; but despite the abundance of bamboo and its extraordinary properties the weakness of current end-jointing methods is currently holding back general accreditation of use of bamboo as a construction medium in dwelling houses. My joint could - conceivably - make bamboo houses earthquake and hurricane proof.

An important application for the fastener would be semi-permanent buildings; the fastener allows very rapid on-site construction of tiered, rigid buildings by unskilled persons - in a way just not possible at present. Currently - in single storey tented buildings, a lot of the floor space is wasted because items like desks, workbenches, sinks etc cannot be affixed to the 'walls' of the building. My tubular construciton method would overcome this problem.

Besides designing in my spare time, I run a UK based race engine business and my means (time/money) for getting this product in the general marketplace are very limited. I have read extensively thru this forum, and joined because my speculative approaches to hundreds of firms who I thought would be interested, proffering photos and descriptions were a complete waste of time. Even the RIBA did not answer my mail.

This I find surprising, because use of tubing is a live issue among the world's more progressive architects and tubing, and, despite its structural advantage over other forms of structural medium, is hugely underutilised in construction. One might have thought that the tube industry might be interested, but not so, not yet anyhow.

Here I may find myself among friends. I would be very pleased to talk detail to any construction design professional who would be prepared to examine actual samples and give this some serious thought

Anyone with a genuine interest can e mail me direct at gcengines@aol.com, please put XPC in the mail subject heading.

Best regards,

Guy Croft
Guy Croft

xpc fastener

Postby Guy Croft » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:09 am

I have just opened the new website for the tube fixing I have developed,
at www.xpcfastener.com

Best regards,

Guy Croft
Owner, inventor
Guy Croft

Postby P.C. » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:55 am

Yes Tube structures is one of the only building masses I think can challance 3D-H .

There are many issues and also good use for computer pover , calculating the fittings to allow tube pieces to form massive structures still, with 3D-H there are so much more options as it carry the box strength that the tube structures will not perform.
Combined they will perform wonders ---- acturly two of Londons most modern building structures are based on a Tube lattrice ; it is difficult to see when the tubes are covered with square panels so they act a bit 3D-H but true, Tube structures are another promising way to build. ---- it just don't solve the problems 3D-H do.
P.C.
millennium club

Postby Guy Croft » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:55 am

Good morning, thanks for your reply, and you're quite right of course, tubing falls down when it comes to fixing flat things to longitudinal tube sections, excepting where floors are clipped to the tube and held in place by gravity, as in the case of the disaster relief 2 tier tube house I am working on.
XPC in tube does have 3 potentially useful applications that I have refined already for construction, 'bannister' tube fixing for staircases - esp spiral ones with wooden, glass and stone steps; strut braces for exterior bracing - XPC, already a tube system that can be constructed on-site without pre-fabrication, has an sliding counterface option that permits a telescoping at, typically one end, to accomodate deviations in fit; and also I have a variant which allows plate glass to be fixed very securely and simply direct to the tube end, may be useful for geodetic type structures where minimum intrusion into the light stream is an over-riding priority.

As an aside, those readers with links to interior design where decorative tube is used may be interested in the possibilities of XPC, I have been speaking lately to a Canadian designer who says XPC will revolutionise his systems interms of flexibility, cost, turnaround and aesthetics. At the moment all his interior fittings have to be welded..

I am now regularly updating the website demonstrating these things, see www.xpcfastener.com

Thanks very much for replying,

Guy Croft
Guy Croft

Return to New Structure Forum