Structural steel residence

For discussion of structural innovations ranging from 3D Honeycomb to genomic and self-generating formal systems. All welcome.

Structural steel residence

Postby Joel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:01 pm

This is exactly what i want to build. a sloping flat roof design steel building as a residence.

I can see the exposed steel structure in these interior photos. I can also see canister recessed lighting. That tells me there is a descent about of space between the interior ceiling paneling that the roof. Any idea how thick the "attic" space might be and how would you insulate something like this?

I'm envisioning having a steel building manufacturer erect a free-span steel super structure on a rectangular shaped slab. Fur-in & drywall/insulate 3 sides and store front on the 4th side.

I'm just curious to see what type of insulation methods are available for the ceiling. Do you install 2x12's across the steel beams and in that 12" space, enclose with with traditional insulation/sheetrock.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel

Postby csintexas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:59 am

Steel building are pretty much the same as wood buildings, -you can do them in a great number of ways.
csintexas
millennium club

Postby lekizz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:31 am

Neat house! It looks like an incredibly slim roof. If you look at the outside of the house there is only around a foot of height between the top of the steel beam and the parapet of the external walls. The roof is apparently zinc standing seam, my guess maybe on a sandwich of 8 inch wood frame and plywood sheet. I'm not sure how the architect manages to get an adequate fall to the roof for drainage! And it must've been fiddly to install those spot lights.

What are the insulation requirements in Texas? Probably not onerous!
lekizz
millennium club

Postby WalkerARCHITECTS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Been there, done that........couple of times.
WalkerARCHITECTS

Return to New Structure Forum