<<< Wind Energy Skyscrapers >>>

For discussion of structural innovations ranging from 3D Honeycomb to genomic and self-generating formal systems. All welcome.

Postby starkca3 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:20 pm

oo i dont know about the turbines on farms thing dude...havent you heard?!!? it ruins their culture, or something like that. :P :P :P
starkca3

Postby starkca3 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 pm

oo i dont know about the turbines on farms thing dude...havent you heard?!!? it ruins their culture, or something like that. :P :P :P
starkca3

Postby MaNaeSWolf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 pm

I have a couple of issues with the structure.
Firstly the surrounding structure will cause air turbulence and reduce the efficiency of the turbines.
Turbines so close to each other will most definitely influence each other interesting ways.
The running costs of making sure hundreds of turbines are working at prime efficiency is gonna be a pain.
I bet that if you had to make a single huge turbine using the same amount of cash your gonna need to make this tower you will probably have something better, however pilots will have something new to avoid. :lol:
The plus side to the Tower, is that it will handle the different wind speeds from higher up in the tower well as motors higher up will have more powerful generators that those at the bottom. But getting 50+ generators to provide 50hertz will be a pain.
Huge wind generation in cities will never be a big success, wind gets broken up too much in surrounding buildings. but im sure it can make a difference in eco design.
the Bahrain World Trade Centre Towers is at least on the city edge getting wind from the ocean side.
Why not take the wind tower concept here and shove it in a few floors in a block of flats or office tower?
Maybe even take an existing inefficient building and "refurbish" a few floors with some of these wind turbines? just remove all the floor slabs and walls.
Just a thought.
MaNaeSWolf

Postby nanrehvasconez » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey lekizz, sice when sins are ugly, my secretary is gorgeous as sin, but i agree the sin in reference is prety ugly.

New skyscrapers are being designed with horizontal turbines mounted on roofs and some times in alternate floors with air intakes to use the convection air up drafts typical of skyscraper canyons as in Manhatan
nanrehvasconez

Postby nanrehvasconez » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:07 pm

10 WIND TURBINES WILL TOP HUSTON TOWER

Gilbane Building Co will construct 30 story , 870,000 sf DISCOVERY TOWER, in downtown Huston
nanrehvasconez

Previous

Return to New Structure Forum