Realistic design for fictional structure

For discussion of structural innovations ranging from 3D Honeycomb to genomic and self-generating formal systems. All welcome.

Realistic design for fictional structure

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:46 pm

I am designing concept art for a developing game world. I thought the best way to find what a structure would realistically look like, would be to ask architects and students. I'm unsure if this is the right place to be asking this, as the structure is fictional and theoretical.

I have a list of restrictions, but because it is fictional you have plenty of room for creativity.

The design is for a base that can support a small city. The base has the following aspects;

-Consists of 3-5 huge pillars that are rotating slowly in the path of a large circle [120m(ish) radius].
-These pillars are basically ground to build on, because they can support any amount of weight. (for the purposes of design).
-There is a lot of air traffic passing through the center of the circle.
-The city has to be balanced to sit on top of the pillars. As long as it is balanced, there is no weight limit on the base.

-There are materials and metals that are very strong for use.

I'm concerned with how the pillar/base will be designed, so any random suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a rough sketch to show you what I mean;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Spanish Inquisition

Postby dgt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:06 pm

I would look at the architectural theorists.

Examples:
-the Futurists (for obvious reasons)
-the Metabolists (for the large infrastructural designs)
-the work of Archigram (quintessential future urbanists)

Also, look at existing games like Halo, Unreal Championship etc.

Hope this helps,
dgt
dgt

Return to New Structure Forum