want to become an architect

Course offerings and degree programs in architecture, engineering, and construction can be posted here.

want to become an architect

Postby andrew_hall9 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi friends, I am 23, a manager for Meineke and I want to become an architect. Is it too late, and worth the time? Right now I work 40-60hrs a week and I work hard and stressful. Will being an architect be a hard life as well? Will I get to see my family and friends? Will I get to enjoy the holidays? Will I make a very good living? Is there going to be work for me for years to come? I would like it if someone would please answer my questions.
andrew_hall9

Postby vsynq » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Andrew, I am in a similar position. I am 23, about to graduate with a BA in English. I have decided to go on to study architecture in grad school, despite my lack of an undergraduate education in this discipline. All I can say is that it's not too late to follow your dream. Perceiving your goals as "late" or "early" is not going to get you anywhere. Architecture will not be easy, or require less time than your current job, but it will be more studious, creative, and, well, less lucrative for the next couple years. If you live in the US there are a number of schools offering graduate programs in architecture for those with bachelors in other fields. UT Austin, University of Oregon, and the New School of Art in San Francisco are a few.
In any case, imagine your life in twenty years. Are you going to be still wishing you had of studied architecture, at least even tried? Are you going to be working for Meineke, dreaming of air circulation, the play of shadow and light across the interior of a room, and how to make your mark on history?
vsynq

Return to Architecture and Building Educational Offerings