Any opinions about EVIL digital cameras?

Discussion of architectural photography in general, plus postings for participating photographers in the Artifice Images licensing pool.

Any opinions about EVIL digital cameras?

Postby David Owen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:53 am

Wired has a tantalizing piece about several models of EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras. These seem to combine the most essentially useful features of consumer digitals (size, electronic viewfinder) with at least some that are normally found on DSLRs (interchangeable lenses, larger camera sensors, high-speed focus):

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/ ... your-dslr/

Looking at the lenses for these cameras, they seem to have what (to a user of DSLR lenses) appear to be extremely low focal lengths (eg 7mm). Given the smaller bodies on these cameras the upshot seems to be that we'll all just have to reset our intuitive understandings of what it means to be shooting with a 10mm lens.

So I'm curious to know if anyone's using one of these EVILs already. And if so, please share your thoughts and experiences! I'm particularly interested in hearing how they compare (especially optically) to the larger DSLRs.
David Owen

Postby Inprintimaging » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 am

I havn't used one, but my view is (that for shooting architecture anyway) they wouldn't be much use because they don't allow movements to correct perspective (converging verticals, depth of field) in the way that a large format technical camera does. Ok granted the solution for this on an SLR (tilt shift lenses) arn't exactly great either, but at least they offer one.

I could see this new breed of camera taking off with hobbyists, but for a professional it is doubtful. Even if you were shooting something that didn't require camera movements (such as a wedding), no one in their right mind would turn up with something like that, as it would make you look badly equipped in front of a client, and could land you in court for professional negligence.

www.inprintimaging.com
Inprintimaging

Return to Architectural Photography