Beginer

Discussion of architectural photography in general, plus postings for participating photographers in the Artifice Images licensing pool.

Beginer

Postby Bulfinch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:57 am

Hey, urm can anyone advice me on what camera to buy and what type of lenses are good for architectural shoots....I've been talking around and many have adviced my for ultra wide angle lenses....plz send me ur opinions thx.... :D [/img]
Bulfinch

Postby Pbartf64 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 pm

If starting out I would suggest Nikon or Canon. Most of the new cameras will have full 35mm format or a smaller format chip so that will effect the lenses you need. In 35mm terms I favor 24mm and perhaps you may want a lens that has a zoom range. Try not to go too wide with your lenses unless necessary because it dilutes the composition and looks like a snapshot. Also, with lenses you get what you pay for so don't go cheap. It doesn't matter how good the camera is if the optics are poor, expect to pay over $1700 for a good lens that gives very little distortion.

Best of luck!
Pbartf64

Postby Torsen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 pm

you do not need to spend anywhere that much. If its just for a website and fairly small pictures, then a nice versitile bridge will be fine. Unless your wanting to spend more.

my protfolio is here: www.joshuathomson.co.uk

most of the shots were taken with a fuji S9600
Torsen

Postby Pbartf64 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 pm

In regards to the comment in the previous post, it really depends on what you're doing. If you want high quality and you're doing this professionally then in most cases you get what you pay for. Pro architectural cameras and lenses truly go beyond what most people think and understanding goes beyond reading the specs. There is a technical side that gets more and more complex as technology evolves.

If you are looking for a simple setup for documentary work then most cameras will do fine but be sure to do a Google search for some current reviews.

Best,
Pbartf64

Postby Inprintimaging » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:44 pm

The traditionalists would say you should use a view camera with a full range of movements (especially the shift movement as this allows you to correct converging verticals). While this is correct, for purposes of starting out, it is a bit overkill. You can move on to this later.

To start out with, go for either Canon or Nikon. They are smaller and easier to use for the beginner. Both also offer tilt shift lenses, which go some way towards solving the converging verticals issue. Full frame cameras give the best results although they are expensive. For starting out, consider hiring equipment initially from say Calumet.
Inprintimaging

Postby JeffW » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:06 pm

"you're doing this professionally then in most cases " Paul I apologize but i gotta call you on this one, if the OP was doing it professionally would they really be asking what camera to buy? I can understand if the question was strobes verse hot lights.

sorry I just thought your answer was a little funny
JeffW

Postby Pbartf64 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Jeff,

What's so odd or funny about my reply? Someone asked a question without any background. How do you know if they were trying to start out professionally vs amateur?

Did you also read that they said "what type of lenses are good for architectural shoots"? Did you read that Jeff? That means someone intends to do a photo shoot.

So Jeff, what's the issue with my answer and trying to help someone out? Where is your helpful advise to this person?

So what are you calling me on?

Paul S. Bartholomew, LBIPP
<a title="Architectural Photographer Interior Design Photographer" href="http://www.psbphotography.com">Architectural Interior Design Photographer</a>
Pbartf64

Postby eddydarmawan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:43 am

budget!
please tell, how much you want to spend mony for it!
eddydarmawan

Postby JeffW » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Pbartf64 wrote:Jeff,
...Did you read that Jeff? That means someone...
So Jeff, what's the issue...

First Paul I do apologize. I did not mean any disrespect to you or the OP so please don't take it that I was attacking you - obviously the internet does not transfer humor or maybe I'm just not funny.

I just found the term 'professional' funny in a thread asking about "what camera to buy". I would not expect a Nascar driver to be asking about tires nor would I even expect a college ball player to be asking about what shoes to buy with that experienced I would look to them for their refined opinion.

No I did not give any advise without more info any response is just speculating on what the OP's intentions are? Would a Canon G-10, 4x5 film camera, 5d, or a Phase 1 back be the wrong answer?

Again please accept my apology my remark was made for jest with no disrespect. jeff
JeffW

Return to Architectural Photography