Need help choosing a Tripod

Discussion of architectural photography in general, plus postings for participating photographers in the Artifice Images licensing pool.

Need help choosing a Tripod

Postby JarredStanley » Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am

I'm relatively new to architectural photography and I was wanting help choosing a tripod for architectural. I currently have a MANFROTTO 3001BN and a MANFROTTO 804RC2 head but its proving to be a bit weak with my 1Ds and a tele lens. I have been looking at Gitzo but i'm not really sure which model / head would be best. The carbon fiber ones look to be the best considering I mostly have to travel alone so less weight is good. Any help would be great.. Thanks.
JarredStanley

Beware MANFROTO 3001BN

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

I am the adventurous photography type, often trekking a ways away up a mountain to capture a building from a unique angle. In my experience you should stop using the MANFROTO 3001BN immediately as it risks damaging your gear! Mine tipped over in the wind with just a Canon EOS-1V, granted those are pretty heavy...

I went ahead and invested in the Carbon Fiber 055MF4 and I haven't looked back since. It has the quick snap adjusters for the legs, ability for side-insertion of the tripod stock (great for over-head shots). I use it with a Mamiya RZ67 IID, if it handles that huge beast it should do well for yours. I have an older three-way gear head that is nearly heavier than the entire tripod itself, and the combined weight is certainly manageable.

I'd say its worth the money, especially if you work alone.

Postby Pbartf64 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:52 pm

I use a medium size Gitzo with ball head and love it. It may take getting used to with the twist leg locks but well worth it for quick and accurate setup. I looked at carbon fiber and see the advantages but I often have all my gear packed up and carted around. Be sure you pick a tripod that gives you good enough height. On many occasions I find a ladder useful and the taller tripod is helpful.

Paul S. Bartholomew, LBIPP
<a title="Architectural Photographer Interior Design Photographer" href="http://www.psbphotography.com">Architectural & Interior Design Photographer</a>
Last edited by Pbartf64 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pbartf64

Bogen's 3021

Postby JeffW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 pm

As nice as Gitzos are I have always felt they are over priced at least in the beginning when there is so much other gear to buy. A great tripod in my mind is Bogen's 3021 probably pick up a nice one off Craigslist. I do have the Carbon Fiber 055 and I personally like a little weight to the tripod both because I feel they can take a simple bump when setting up the shot plus I like the added sturdiness when raised to it's full height.

my 2¢
jeff
JeffW

Postby rockstar7881 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Have you tried surfing the net with what you exactly need? There are tons of answers that can help you with your concern. Cuz, I myself had the same problem with my cam and tripod and looked on the internet and found what I needed. You can try it too and see what the results are.
rockstar7881

Postby wildtypitch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am

I use a Gitzo heavy aluminium tripod with the sinar pan+tilt head, rock solid if you're using a sinar monrail. Otherwise for lighter stuff I use a acratech ballhead, not great for technical precision though.

Nathaniel McMahon <a href="http://www.nathanielmcmahon.com"><b>Architectural Photography</b></a>
wildtypitch

Return to Architectural Photography