Modern furniture from Recycled Metal

What does Modern Living mean to you? Share your ideas, questions, viewpoints, tips, tricks, and resources, and let's explore our evolving concepts together of an elegant, ethical, well-designed way of living in this 21st century.

Modern furniture from Recycled Metal

Postby Joel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and I have really enjoyed everything i have read on this forum so far.

I wanted to introduce to you a recycled series i have been doing since Jan 06. I don't market these pieces as "green" because im sure the final clear coat is not healthy. Not all of my pieces are 100% recycled either because i do buy new steel for the chassis due to demand. I buy reclaimed or old steel tubing off craigslist and scrap yards whenever i see it available. Now that all the disclaimers are mentioned, I'll briefly share my design point of view.

Originally, my tables had less of an emphasis on the environment and more of love of the automobile. I love cars and I always root for the underdog. I like the idea of taking a material that invisible to most people because it is so undesirable and presenting it in a new light. Hunting for a super cool old truck that is either rotting away or about to be crushed and bringing part of it back to life as a piece that will be enjoyed everyday and be the genesis of many conversations is why i love doing this. If i never build another bed, armoire or closet system, its just fine with me.

In 2009, I'll be offering 100% recycled tables. The environment is important to me and I will make that effort, it just wasn't the motivating factor behind the original design.

You can visit my site but I'll post "the best of" photos here for you to see. Tables from $850. I hope you like pictures.
http://joelhester.com/

original Cadillac deck lid

http://joelhester.com/
Last edited by Joel on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joel

Postby Joel » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Joel

Postby Joel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:42 am

Joel

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm

This is outstanding stuff, very cool.

Thanks for sharing it! Looking forward to new pieces!
Kevin
Site Admin

Postby Joel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:09 am

i just finished building a pretty cool dining table. The top was made from the roof of an old car.

45" x60" & 29" tall
Joel

Re: Modern furniture from Recycled Metal

Postby april_luv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:30 am

It's amazing recycled furniture.

Aluminum fence | Custom driveway gates
april_luv

Return to Modern Living Forum