Modern Phoenix Expo & Tour: Apr 5 + 6

What does Modern Living mean to you? Share your ideas, questions, viewpoints, tips, tricks, and resources, and let's explore our evolving concepts together of an elegant, ethical, well-designed way of living in this 21st century.

Modern Phoenix Expo & Tour: Apr 5 + 6

Postby smoca » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:08 pm

The 4th Annual Modern Phoenix Expo and Home Tour
"Progress + Preservation"
featuring Scottsdale’s Village Grove neighborhood

APRIL 5 + 6, 2008

(SCOTTSDALE & PHOENIX, Ariz.) – Once again, the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art [SMoCA] is teaming up with the Modern Phoenix Neighborhood Network to present the 4th annual Progress + Preservation event, a two-day modernist extravaganza including an Expo and Home Tour in Scottsdale on April 5 + 6. This year’s Expo spotlights the need for preservation of stellar mid-century modern design in the Valley and also honors independent designers in the community today. Compare past and present through a rich program of weekend activities that tackle the hot issues with hot information. This popular annual event has become a mainstay of the design community-a place to meet, greet and debate with a dynamic group of creative personalities. On Saturday, the Expo takes place at SMoCA and in the facilities of the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. Sunday’s home tour gives participants a special view of the Village Grove neighborhood in Scottsdale, designed by Charles Schreiber.

APR 5 (Saturday): Free Public Expo, 12 noon-4:00 p.m.
The free public expo in SMoCA and the atrium of the adjacent Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts features specialty products and service-providers; informative speakers on the historic preservation and research of mid-century design from the City of Scottsdale and City of Phoenix; an exhibition of redesigns for mid-century modern homes by students from the Art Institute of Phoenix; a free door-prize drawing sponsored by Modern Phoenix members; and free admission to SMoCA.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EXPO:
• Modern & Contemporary Jewelry Trunk Show inside SMoCA (free to the public all weekend)
• Ticketed afternoon sessions featuring presentations and workshops with experts including:
Debbie Abele, architectural historian for Maricopa County, presenting on “Modern Scottsdale”
Frank Henry of Taliesin West, designer of the “mushroom” Valley National Bank (now Chase Bank) at 44th Street and Camelback
John Jacquemart presenting on “Researching Your Mid-century Modern Home Using Primary Sources”
Charlie Ray, designer for The Green Room, presenting a workshop demonstration on “Cacti and Succulents as Living Sculpture.”
• Special tours of the renovated & historic Hotel Valley Ho will also be offered through Ultimate Art Tours.

Tickets and a detailed roster of workshop & presentation times will be available in late January. Call 480-994-ARTS or see www.modernphoenix.net for updates.

APR 6 (Sunday): Home Tour in Scottsdale’s Village Grove
2:00 – 6:00 pm, Maximum 400 persons

This self-guided walking tour takes you through the modernist tract homes of Village Grove, designed by Charles Schreiber for Allied Homes. Also included are the nearby mid-century modern Glass and Garden Church and Holy Cross Lutheran Church, as well as Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix. Tickets available in late January 2008. $25 per person. Call 480-994-ARTS.

For more information about Modern Phoenix and their events visit: www.modernphoenix.net

# # #
smoca

新加的空白

Postby ijkl903 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:11 am

It is a good artical and helpful for me to read it.
There is a short story as follows:
ijkl903

Postby Antisthenes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:16 pm

The Green Summit is downtown Phoenix on the same days (right now)

www.greensummit.net
Antisthenes

Right applause

Postby ijkl903 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:42 am

It is a good artical and helpful for me to read it.
There is a short story as follows:
In 1991, one from Shenyang, Liaoning's father with a 9-year-old son, came to Beijing to find their music dream.
However, the two had no relationship between father and son, two no background, just the music of perseverance and love of music is not enough to cause attention. In order to be able to stay in Beijing, the father talk twists and turns, reluctantly sent his son to a primary school. Son's talent is playing the piano, his father took a high-priced contact the famous pianist on counselling courses. The first day, the only pianist of the child for a brief notation on the shake of the head from: "This child, the brain than most people stupid, slow responses, certainly not on the Central Conservatory of Music, Chenzao diverted!" As a result, stubborn personality The son of teachers on the spot and a noisy, and also how his father could not persuade teachers and students, both much break up in discord.
Seeing not Clear the Air's son, his father a while saddened heart: "For years, my father resigned, Mai Fangzai, uprooted everywhere Qiuren, you can not is to learn the piano, the future on the Central Conservatory of Music?? You now have become the Like! "The son of another of the Jin Jue:" Dad, I no longer Xue-Qin, I would like to return to Shenyang! "After another dispute, disappointed by his father into despair, decided to leave Beijing with a son. They left in the day, received a notice of the accident: the son of the primary schools run evening, the teachers appointed to his son playing a piano. Son apparently also Qitou Shang: "No bombs, no bombs, and even the piano teacher, I say stupid, slow response, I no longer feel Qin!" Several teachers are very strange: "bombs in the good, how that No bomb can not bomb a ? "does not feel Qin? your father give you to Beijing, Xue-Qin is to the right ? However, both the teachers how to do the work, is the son of the Qin refused to Zaimo.
Their dispute attracted a group of curious spectators, that is, son of the students in her class. Next, the son of a moving scene, the children you a word I helping to persuade the phrase opened: "bomb it, we all like to listen to you Play" and "in our hearts, your piano is a bomb The best! "厖 That night, his son with tears, to have never had the passion, playing the several Chinese and foreign songs. The audience of listeners Ruchiruzui, applause everywhere, a long time did not stop. Son stands to get up, again and again to encourage his people towards the bow, in those Lianmianbujue applause, his son has made a decision to change his life: "I wanted to learn piano! I must learn!" With exceptional The efforts to increase self-confidence, two years later, his son was admitted to the first results of the Central Conservatory of Music Fuxiao; 10, he became the Central Conservatory of Music, the youngest professor, and performed with a series of successful Chinese and foreign technical panic . He is known as "rare piano genius" Lang Lang.
Fame, many people asked about the secret of success Lang Lang, Lang Lang will be referred to primary school, without exception of that special event, referred to inspire their own road of applause. Later, in an interview with a reporter wrote emotionally: "The applause is the grass-roots arts affirmed. Although they are not celebrities from Taiwan, but at a critical time to right the voice of the rescue of a musical genius."
2moons dil
world of warcraft gold
ijkl903

Postby olgat » Thu May 21, 2009 7:49 pm

I have attended this annual event in Phoenix az for the past few years, and it has gotten better each year.
olgat

Return to Modern Living Forum