Pratt vs. UC-Denver

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Pratt vs. UC-Denver

Postby Hard Hat 11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello. I have been accepted to the three year Master of Architecture program at Pratt, UC-Denver, IIT, and UT-Arlington. I am mainly considering Pratt and UC-Denver. Can anyone offer their opinions or thoughts on any of these programs. I am having a hard time finding objective information on the schools.

I like a lot of the work I saw while visiting the Pratt campus, and I like their hands off, guidance style approach to teaching, although I witnessed some borderline coddling. My main worry is how practical this education would be. Would I start work and have zero technical skills? It seems very conceptual.

Basically, any information you could supply would be of tremendous help.

Thanks!
Hard Hat 11

Postby menta rocks » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 am

Yo Hard Hat,

when i was in my senior year of college (last year) I was interested in going on to get my three year msters in arch. just like you are now doing. So I visited the biggest arch firm and talked with the president and asked him some advice on picking a school. One thing he told me was that he liked students from U of I over Berkley becasue U of I was more technical and easy to work with and break in and Berkley was to conceptual.

That being said, take in consideration that I live in Boise Idaho and also I saw that the last hires for that firm were students from south dakota, and i saw they had undergrad degrees in environmetal studies.

I think in this field you really have to look ahead and see where the need will be in 3 years when you graduate. I think it will be in sustainable architecture, just my opinion though.

By the way I am still considering going on to get my masters in arch., if i can ask you how you got accepted to these great arch. schools? Did you have a great portfolio, gre scores, grades?

I had a 3.25 and am wondering if this is good enough to get into schools that you got into.
menta rocks

Return to Architecture Students Forum