timber roof advice.

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

timber roof advice.

Postby emmalesley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:03 pm

Designing a fish market for my second year project and I'm wanting to experiment with manipulating glue-lam to create a roof in a large wave shape.

Internally I have designed the roof to have exposed glue lam beams spanning 12m horizontally. However I would really like to retain timber on the external skin of the roof as well.

Does anyone have any advice on a suitable timber that would be weather -proof long term as a skin?

Thankyou in Advance.
emma
emmalesley

Postby nanrehvasconez » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:41 am

Very expensive proposition, if you are in the west coast area Wester Cedar is very good, Redwood much better. In the east coast Yellow pine or knotty cedar will be good
nanrehvasconez

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:45 am

I'm not sure I have ever seen redwood roof shingles -- have I ? Heart redwood has become quite expensive, as well.

Cedar is the standard roof shingle material, everywhere in America, as I've experienced it. "White" cedar weathers to silver (in New England, anyway), while red cedar goes brown.

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby emmalesley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:16 am

I'm actually on the south coast of the uk. so Redwoods are pretty hard to come across, shingles don't particularly fit in as the project is in an urban landscape. Any other suggestions?
emmalesley

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 am

Um -- How visible is the proposed roof from any normal vantage point ?

What are the pitches of the roof ? Is it a "rolling landscape," or a simple arc ? Shingles do have a minimum pitch requirement, of course.

Is wood really the best roof material ?

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Postby lekizz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Maybe you could look at something like Frei Otto's Multihalle in Mannheim, Germany. It's certainly very wave like and decorative and covers a vast space

While trying to find some suitable web images of the Multihalle I came across the Weald and Downland Museum in Sussex, which is constructed from oak. Most old timber framed buildings in England use oak, it's a hardwood which survives for centuries in all weathers.

Actually I'm pretty sure Red Cedar is grown in the UK these days, it is another very popular, robust timber.
lekizz
millennium club

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:58 pm

There aren't really too many wood roof surface options, are there. . .

SDR
SDR
millennium club

Return to Architecture Students Forum