Archi Student

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Archi Student

Postby lisa853 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Fellow Architects and Archi Students, I'm currently on a School Architectural Design project, it's A City Plaza.
Now the challenge, I'm concerned that any gush of wind will force its way through 1 or more of the spaces between these buildings at a time, and directed at the building at the centre. I believe these might become an architectural or environmental hazard if safety measures are not employed.
Pls I need suggestions on how to achieve a safe and practicable structure.
lisa853

Postby lekizz » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:35 am

Is it very windy in Nigeria? Or are you selling us DVD's?

http://arch.designcommunity.com/topic-24547.html
lekizz
millennium club

Postby nanrehvasconez » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:53 am

When you design buildings or building complexes you have to follow the local and regional construction codes and ordenances, for example, in the USA Gulf Coat the predominant factor is the lateral wind loads velocity, (Design of Lateral Force Resisting Systems Using the 2006 International Building CodeWhether due to wind, low-seismic or high-seismic loading, the lateral force resisting system of a building is designed and constructed to resist racking, overturning, and sliding. It is this system that gives a building stability and defines its general behavior. Design begins with the International Building Code, which does not include all provisions but rather makes necessary reference to other technical and material standards to complete the picture.

In the Western states such as Alaska, California, Oregon and Washington the predominant factor for design are the SEISMIC loads (see UBC Earthquake Design)
nanrehvasconez

Postby O-Archy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Ahem,
Not to digress...
But, LRFD (Load Resistance Factor Design and / or ASD (Allowable Stress Design) --edit-- Load Factor Resistant Design and Allowable Stress Design --edit-- I'm getting too old to remember the acronyms accurately...
are the code recognized methods for analysis of a structural ability...
Hire a licensed structural consultant in the specific jurisdiction.
Oh wait, this is the student fora...
Try a robust base of high mass material (stone), a mid body material with transparency windows in a spandrel wall, and a nice low profile "hat" for wind resistance. Perhaps no more than four stories tall, look into "A Pattern Language" for more specificity
OK Bye.
O-Archy

Postby phalculus » Thu May 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Don't you mean foru...?
phalculus

Return to Architecture Students Forum