how can i improve my rendering skill?

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

how can i improve my rendering skill?

Postby limuel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm a third year student from Polytechnic University of the Philippines and I'm new in this community. I just want to ask students/professionals on how i can improve on my drawing skills. Introducing techniques would really be much appreciated. Thanks people. :)
limuel

Postby TheSudden » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:29 pm

I found that the first thing you have to have is the supplies to make the most effective drawings and accurately be able evaluate your skills. This could be your problem as to why you aren't making the best drawings and this is what I found to be true for myself. This means you have all the lead hardness's 4h, 2h, hb, 2b 4b ect.

Don't have a crappy ruler, make sure you have a nice metal ruler cause platic wears down and makes the lines bumpy and a parallel rule or t square at the least (this makes your drawings improve tenfold) have a triangle, a gooey eraser, (the regular ones destroy the bumps in the paper) and lastly, make sure the surface has no imperfections.

Now once you have all this, you will see a great improvement. The next step, if you still aren't satisfied is practice practice, that's what it takes to become better at something. good luck!!!
TheSudden

Postby starkca3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:10 pm

...yea i was just going to say practice >< ...if you have time...who has time...*sigh
starkca3

Postby arthicj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:09 pm

..tutorials downloaded from net would be helpful.. :D
arthicj

Postby innova+e » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:30 pm

do you want to improve "drawing" skills or representation skills? Representing your idea and making your thoughts apparent in front of your peers is a must to survive in architecture. Remember, you are in architecture school not art school. I am certain you'll loose hours trying to render perfect lines with a multitude of useless pencils, when your colleagues will be jamming out the ideas with models and quick communicative sketches. Don't focus so much on the fancy tools.. get a pen or pencil that feels good and just draw what you see, and practice until you can demonstrate exactly what it is that you want to illustrate. Architecture school is not going to give points on pretty illustrations, in so far as they will be more impressed with your ability to communicate ideas quickly. Look at some drawings from people like Siza Vieira or Peter Zumthor and you'll see how they sketch. I used one size pen or pencil throughout my entire tenure at university and my strong point was representation this way, not artistic beauty of line. I now use only a fountain pen for everything illustrative and representative and communicative.. The rest gets worked out digitally when the ideas is established. good luck.
innova+e

Postby Antisthenes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:51 pm

tips and tricks find a mentor
Antisthenes

Re: how can i improve my rendering skill?

Postby dytecture » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Keep in mind that all the rendering programs won't be any use if the building is badly designed.
dytecture

Return to Architecture Students Forum