Technique for Measuring As-Built for CAD

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Technique for Measuring As-Built for CAD

Postby puppychew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question but is there any technique for doing a good measurement of a building? Each time I measure rooms and enter the measurements into CAD I am always way off. I use a tape measure not laser. I searched for videos and info on the internet but no luck.

I would really appreciate a technique for accurate measuring.

Thanks in advance!
puppychew

Re: Technique for Measuring As-Built for CAD

Postby AnnMatthew » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:39 am

As-built surveys using 3D laser scanning technology, such as the Laser Scanner, provide users with detailed point clouds which enable 3D modelling for diverse tasks including building reconstruction, plant layout and enhanced data presentation with augmented reality.

With fast turn around times on scans of buildings and entire environments, 3D laser scanner can deliver fully surfaced CAD models for a variety of industries. Artitecture , Autocad , civil engineering and construction, facility management, and cultural heritage have all benefited from this 3D CAD solution.http://sdacademy.com
AnnMatthew

Re: Technique for Measuring As-Built for CAD

Postby phansford » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:33 am

The best book out there is Recoding Historic Structures, which is really focused on measuring and documenting buildings for HABS/HARS for the National Park Service. But the techniques are the same for any age of building.

You need to string dimensions….. for example, if you are measuring a wall with several openings, fix the end of the tape at one end and measure the openings from the common starting point. Its best to have a 100 feet tape. If you have a 30 ft tape you'll have to reset your "Zero Point" as you move along the building. Make sure the tale is taut. If I am measuring by myself, I will duct tape the dumb end of the tape.

You should also get a foot and inches calculator to add up your dimensions in the field. Just to back check your work. No need to keep going back and forth from the office to the project site.

Vertical dimension can be a bit more tricky as you need to set the finish floor height to an element on the building, then measure elements from that fixed point. If its a masonry building, we like to count the bricks and use that as our unit of measure.

We basically assume that the building is square and plumb. Obviously, much older buildings will not necessarily be square. Those damn pioneers….. not have laser equipment and using an old piece of string or rope to lay out their building.

Hope that gets you started.
phansford
millennium club

Return to Architecture Students Forum