Various Architectural Questions

Discussion among students of architecture, planning, interiors, landscape, and environmental design. Occasional contributions by lurking design professionals.

Various Architectural Questions

Postby Design4 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:45 am

Sorry everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so please bare with me. Next year I have to start applying to different schools in my area and architecture is currently my field of choice. I live in BC and the school I am planning on applying for is Called BCIT. It has two courses to do with architecture, one is called Architectural and Building Engineering Technology, and the other is called Architectural Sciences. here are the links: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/8050btech
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/5910diplt
What I my main question is, what is the difference between the two courses? If it were up to you, which program would you rather attend? I have tried emailing the school itself, but they didnt really help. Pretty much just copied and pasted the info. So could someone take a minute to help me out? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :shock:
Design4

Re: Various Architectural Questions

Postby aNewRisingDesign » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Ok. One question for you. Do you want to become a Architectural Drafter or a Structural Engineer? When I looked at the two links, the "Architectural and Building Engineering Technology" one stood out for me. This is because when I'm going to go for my masters program, that is almost the same exact class list I will be taking, and it's the class list that will eventually make you become a residential architect, drafter. You will write floor plans and electrical and plumbing and elevation for houses and structures. The other degree is basically learning the SCIENCE about architecture. The forces behind the way a building stands still, how to talk about architecture to a group of people.
aNewRisingDesign

Re: Various Architectural Questions

Postby Studio2a3d » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Yes, one is "design" and one is "engineering". Which do you prefer?

3d architectural renderings by studio2a
Studio2a3d

Return to Architecture Students Forum